Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Geo Tracker Spindle & Hub same as 1998?
I live in Washington State.
I have a hundred fishing rods as I fish salmon, steelhead and saltwater fish...but don't have a single "Geo" pole...have to look into it. Big Grin
The saga (nightmare) continues...
1996 Geo Tracker, 4x4, no ABS and manual locking hubs.
Now I find out it's not only the model year of importance...but the date it's manufactured!
Yesterday I took a long drive to the Washington coast after pre-paying for a hub & spindle on a 1996 Geo tracker that was from the driver side figuring even though it was the wrong side available...what difference is that gonna make on basically a round part.
I was in heaven...finally after searching half the United States and British Columbia and buying the wrong parts here locally (that I need to take back yet)...I walked up and saw the coastal, rusty spindle & hub but still was over-joyed...
Until I looked at the backside of the spindle and saw the BUSHING!
1996...but the manufacture date on the car's door jam said made August 1995.
You gotta be kidding me!
I love these cars but the 1996 model is a nightmare!
If you ever know of anyone looking for a used Geo (Suzuki the same deal?)...tell them to STAY AWAY from the '96 model year...err they might find themself enrolled in a Narcotics Anonymous program. Rolleyes
I still have the 1990 parts (spindle, hub, rotor, caliper & caliper bracket) that I'm going to finally return today before maybe they have second thoughts about giving me back my $120.
I took side by side pics of the spindle bushing/bearing difference between the 1990 I ended up with and the 1996 that came off my car.
Also did the same with the two hubs that are physically different externally at least on the backside.
Took pics of the caliper brackets that are completely different because they put a smaller caliper on the 2 door models vs the 4 door model like I have.
This thing is a NIGHTMARE!
It should have been renamed Geo Nightmare in 1996. Big Grin

Thanks for your suggestion regarding car-parts.com as that had already been suggested by a couple peeps to me and I've been using it for the first time ever.
Great site but it's still a 1996 Tracker I'm looking for...and that doesn't always work either...I found out.

One location is Universal Auto Sales in Arkansas I contacted yesterday which he claims to have around 400 of these cars.
He pulled the parts I need and contacted me this morning.
I told him about yesterday's ordeal and asked him to check the back of the spindle which he did and turns out it had the bushing spindle also! Angry
So...there ya go...
He didn't know what the manufacture date the '96 model was he took the parts from at the time i asked him.
He said he'd get with his boss when he came in and that he had 13 years experience working with these cars (his boss).

I will figure a way to get these pictures on this thread...don't think you feature a picture uploading format so I'll either put them on my Facebook, which is set at public settings...or see if my old photobucket account is still functional.
It's kind of nice to have images of the differences in the two types of spindles and hubs.

I have a question for you...
Evidently you cannot use or substitute the older roughly 89-95 bushing type spindles with the bearing type on my 1996?
Same for the hub?
Or would that require changing the axle also to do that?

Also...would the 97 and/or 98 spindle & hub W.O. ABS work on my 1996?
I didn't really catch what you were saying there.
What are my options?
Have you ever come across what I've ran into that some '96 models have the bushing type spindles and some have the bearing type spindles depending on the manufacture date basically over riding the model year?

Thanks again and I'll get those pics on here ASAP.
I'd like to link some of these auto parts peeps especially ones specializing in Geo's/Suzuki's to this thread, your forums and your website in general as soon as I can get the images on here for them to see the difference.
I've already been asked for pics and told by others they'd send me pics once I pointed out to them the problems with the 1996 model year.

[attachment=664]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1996 Geo Tracker Spindle & Hub same as 1998? - by Borntobewild - 06-15-2017, 07:43 AM