Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Geo Tracker Spindle & Hub same as 1998?
4wd, only, and non ABS all answers below (redux) Wheel bearing hub , parts crisis. (USA only, can't speak for Canada market or in Mexico ,nor Africa, markets)

my web site is 10years old +, and i have nothing to do with it now, others run it. (im only a customer now, ) To me it's echo of the past. long gone.
I used to restore cars, for years, and stopped that. (never quit my day job, ever, Electronics tech) but had a shop. and loved to rebuild these cars and others, in demand. ( I worked 4/10s day job so had lots of free time! lots....in fact...)
I'm 100% retired now, no cars like that anywhere in Texas. see one a month here on the road. (hey , wife, see that old Tracker? shock ! she calls them Geo Crackers,, LOL)

GM has horrid support on this car NOW. go there and read. (i See only 1998 pages as oldest and most parts are listed as DISCONTINUED) so that leaves what, USED parts or the $160 hub from SUZUKI real and new, correct year.
Suzuki has vast discontinued parts too but not even near as bad AS GM. Suzuki is far better but warning they do not list all parts instock on there stupid lame web site, you must call them and ask or get the real p/n from my book and search there.
and behold, wow its is there and wow 2 it is instock. gee. what a lame web site that is.... end rant. (Jeeps 100x better for sure)
the 1996 did not have the QUEER axle nut spring locks added in 1997 and only on GEO car, a very very good thing that.

the part you damaged I presume is just the main wheel bearing hub, and that is same hub on all 96s to 1998, 100% same if ABS just knock off that tone ring, and BINGO no more ABS.

the new hubs have an inner spindle hub, with roller needle bearings now, this is a fact, of other tell you lies, due to looking at hacked cars, well they are ignorant. of facts.
If you go to SUZUKI and tell them you have 96 Sidekick you get that answer. (lie to them , they will ask for VIN tell them you have no VIN, or forgot it, or learn to get real PN first and demand to buy by PN only, they will IF FORCED)
Yes, Geo owners are forced to do that, why own any GEO, begs the question?

if you read the GM parts list it shows same year changes, wois that any nder,? after all made side by side same day, same plant CAMI, one can see them swap , badges, (GEO) the under hood sticker tells you your GM car is A suzuki see that?
it is. (GM/Suzuki joint Venture in CAMI is the truth.) except plant shut downs for Refits and cars are made in AWATA, japan the VIN code tells you that, and we can discuss that... in fact some97 uses 96 parts, when they shut down, have proof.

http://fixkick.com/hubs/97-98spindle-locs.JPG

try CAR-PARTS.COM (with the dash there) and find them USA wide, best way there is.

let me be clear
1: some cars are hacked, I can't see yours, so,,,, yes, you can mix in wrong parts from wrong year cars, if you do it is SETS. (be super hard work and expensive, on both axles , with axles)
2: some wrecking yards, do not use Hallanders data base so cant answer accurately !! a fact, or only from random experiences.. (for example they never saw this car as it came new, omg, never? forget facts or mix up parts, endless reasons,... )
3: I see no stores in town that can sell you a aftermarket hub, nobody it seems wants to make parts for the now BUGGED out SUZUKI, but there are parts, like SMP (electr) and MOOG,struts, and other parts.(rockauto.com lists most of them)
4: many parts on the car were never ever made aftermarket. some key engine parts not, but water pumps sure, vast and belts.
5: 89-95 parts are wrong parts!, but you can see that main SPINDLE/ball joints part is the same for 10 years, just it not other parts there, nor that AXLE,
6: the bushing madness, well all i can say is it left CAMI with needles, for sure. I hold to that theory, as does the 2 official parts list from GM and SUZUKI , I have both.
The GM book, ONLY hints at some variances. says tell dealer specific application... under the Spindle hub/bearing listing.... (what they meant then, ive no idea, and is now lost in the sands of time, at GM)

A 1996 Geo can be made as early as in July,1st 1995 at CAMI, i sure hope on that day, it had 96 parts, many parts are to pass the USA rules, EPA and DOT. hard fast rules, one is side crash , structural , and OBD2, and many things, VAST !!!
Suzuki changed many splines on car, see my swaps page. and SPLINE key words..
the axles were changed.

To be more clear, why not look at your HUB, is it the 96-98 type? your 1990 photos show its wrong, and is. if your car was not HACKED, many ARE This OLD. now,it's and OLD CAR and SOME parts very hard to find,. (new) see my hard to find parts page?
if yes, then buy that only, buy and be real careful, many places mix up parts used on a shelf after full dismantlement.s... get photos, and look first.
The hubs changed many times. Why not buy a real parts list>? paper ones are now rare, but I have it and the EPC. I have the GM Ufiche,(micro film )
and more.... on the later years the end axle locks are gone and the center of front axle locks inside with a solenoid, air pump drive. so no parts here are any good ,at all.

ask for numbers can do. if you ask Suzuki you must lie about car, due to question, one, VIN? oops. GM vins are ALIEN to SUZUKI., totally, Alien.

cheers and good luck. do not let people lie to you and say ,it had no needle bearings there, its a freakn lie.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1996 Geo Tracker Spindle & Hub same as 1998? - by fixkick - 06-12-2017, 03:02 AM