Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Where to get Rocker Panel molding clips 96 Tracker 2DR 4WD 5spd
I removed the rocker panel moldings on my 96 Tracker 2dr 4wd 5spd to attack some rust. It attaches with some nuts and some clips. Some of the tangs broke while removing the 21 year old clips. Any idea where to get some or a substitute?

only google endless searches
or ebay
or go to autostore, see rack marked HELP™
http://www.fixkick.com
(05-19-2017, 04:16 AM)fixkick Wrote: only google endless searches
or ebay
or go to autostore, see rack marked HELP™

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did check google/ebay/jc whitney, etc. I'm a pretty good googler, and there is nothing like this. If you see the pic I posted, the clips are square! I didn't know if you ever had the rocker panel moldings off before. I think I did find the part # on my travels, but it's not anything that was available.
I did some checking into this. It looks like the GM part number may be 96059131, but none to be found so far.
Looks like you may need to do some fabrication. I really hate it when old plastic fasteners crack on you, had that issue
when I made new brake lines, either not available or $14.95 for a stupid plastic brake line retainer. Oh, I did find a 3 year old
listing from some souq in Arab Emirates that at one time had them for like $1.47. Good luck and keep us informed as at some point
I will need probably to address the same issue.
For a while, I have been wondering if it's worth it to get a Harbor Freight plastic welder.
(05-20-2017, 01:28 PM)fetcher Wrote: I did some checking into this. It looks like the GM part number may be 96059131, but none to be found so far.
Looks like you may need to do some fabrication. I really hate it when old plastic fasteners crack on you, had that issue
when I made new brake lines, either not available or $14.95 for a stupid plastic brake line retainer. Oh, I did find a 3 year old
listing from some souq in Arab Emirates that at one time had them for like $1.47. Good luck and keep us informed as at some point
I will need probably to address the same issue.

Hey, thanks for checking. I've been holding off replying, because I want to put it back together and see what happens. There seems to be some expansion of the clip, even with the broken tabs. Yeah, maybe I can melt the backend or add some tape or something. I'll see when I reassemble. I just wanted to check here first to see if this was something I could order beforehand. Thanks again for checking.
I wouldn't depend on tape. In my experience, nothing really works on nylon except melting/welding it.
there are clips sold on ebay
and other sources,
the problem is 1000s of types
it can be a pain to find them.

our Pep boys here as left rear isle sections , with bolts, nuts, screws, and things like this,, and the HELP line of odd generic car parts hard to find.
http://www.fixkick.com
There are sites like http://www.clipsandfasteners.com Maybe something can substitute or be modded to work.
When Pep Boys first came to my area, I thought those drawers of specialty parts were the greatest thing.
These days, none of the Pep Boys stores I have been in keep those drawers properly stocked.
Thanks for all the info.
I put it back together with the broken clips. There was still some expansion so it seems to be holding after a few weeks (but not well). I may take fixkicks advice and try to fix a close substitute. I was hoping for the exact part, of course. Thanks for the advice about the plastic welder from Harbor Freight. I never knew anything like that existed.

This problem came to light when I brought my car to Wal-mart to get the tires balanced for free. I can't seem to find a decent Wal-Mart tire service location. When I picked up the car and I opened the door, the molding was hitting the door. When I got home I looked closer, underneath is bent. I think the dope at Walmart lifted the car by putting the lift under the rocker panel instead of the frame.

Someone posted a way to straighten the rocker panel with a frame straightener in another forum. Here is the post with pictures:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-side...panel.html

Thanks again for your help and research.