Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ground locations on Sport
So, going through & checking things out on my '97 Sport, I noticed the main ground is going to the block at the alternator mount. I know on the 1.6 16v it goes to the top bolt of the starter... Isn't the Sport main ground supposed to be on the starter top bolt too??!!
I have cleaned the 2 ground connectors on the top of the plenum, & the inner fender next to the battery. Where are any other ground points I should check?
There are twelve points of grounding for the 96-98 Sport:

1. Front right fender next to the air box
2. Somewhere next to the battery
3. Somewhere next to the front wiper motor
4. Somewhere on the back of the plenum
5. Somewhere on the front left fender next to the wiper water tank
6. Somewhere on the starting motor
7. Somewhere below the inside of the wiper switch
8. Somewhere of the right inside upper of the auto tranny stick
9. Somewhere of the left inside of the glove box
10. Somewhere of the right inside upper of the driver's right knee
11. Somewhere on the right back door quarter panel next to the seat belt
12. Somewhere on the inside of the back door opposite of the back number plate.

May be my descriptions are not good, however they give you the clues!
The above descriptions come from the 1996 Supplementary Service Manual 1800 which is so thick, only the SSM for 1997 and 1998 are thin. The 1996 Suzuki Sidekick /X-90 Service Manual consists of two volumes, volumes 1 and 2, that are thick as well.
Well, being that #6 on that list is the starter... & the fact I have no ground wire to the starter... I'm thinking it's wrong on mine. Rasmeidirt, would you take a peak at yours & tell me, is your ground on the top or bottom starter bolt? Looking at mine, it seems the top bolt is much harder to access, where as the bottom bolt is much easier. I wonder if it would make any difference...?
(06-26-2017, 01:27 AM)97Sport Wrote: Well, being that #6 on that list is the starter... & the fact I have no ground wire to the starter... I'm thinking it's wrong on mine. Rasmeidirt, would you take a peak at yours & tell me, is your ground on the top or bottom starter bolt? Looking at mine, it seems the top bolt is much harder to access, where as the bottom bolt is much easier. I wonder if it would make any difference...?

Pic is always too large and cannot send!