Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enjine swap in 1995 Sidekick 1.6 8valve
Hi Guys, just bought my wife a pristine 1995 Sidekick 2x2 with hardtop the only problem the young mans water pump seized and severly overheated. Now the two center cylinder aren't developing power,compression is good on 1-4 and 35 lbs lower on two center cylinders which aren't producing power. I have a friend that has a 1987 Suzuki 1.3 4 cylinder motor (8 Valve) carburated that had 60 k miles I can get really cheap. the engine has the carb, distributor , starter but don't know if i'm fixing to open up a can of worms with problems. If anyone has more back ground on the differences between the applications and whether it will work please let me know. I believe the worst thing about the enjine in the sidekick is that I think the block is cracked so wouldn,t be a candidate for a rebuild. Any advise appreciated[/quote]quote]
finding G16 blocks is not easy to now. (not cracked)
the problem is the G13 head, runs a different distributor, the G13 distributor makes all spark yours , the ECU does.
they have different cam gear driving that distributor.
your 56bxx ECU must have a G16 CMP fired distributor or no spark happens, again. that is the limit #1.
how well the ECU takes the loss of 300 cc displacement, is unknown by me.
my guess it will work , kinda ok. just weaker power.
what transmission, ? (2x2) tell me its what 2doors? 2wd, and that can be what 5speed manual trans, or 3sp auto but the its that 4speed auto then it may shift wrong, lacking 300 cc's
what car is it, spec out fully
USA Sidekick , G16a, 8v, 2wd, 2doors/ 3speed at/?
the G16a and G16b blocks are not same (short block, due to diff. pistons, radical)

1987 is not 1995 , EFI happened 1989 and lots of changes.
you need at the least a G16a block, (and maybe a head) is it warped.?
http://www.fixkick.com
Thank you for your quick response i can tell you know your stuff. The 95 Sidekick is 2x2 automatic and I have realized that there will be obviously little less power with the displacement but I can get the motor which does have the distributor,carb,starter for 175.00....Kinda sounds like it's worth a gamble. it has the intake,exhaust everything I would need to swap.....except I think the 87 would have a hall effects type distributor....I'm just not that familiar with that 1987 suzuki application. does the distributor on the 1987 Samari have an additional igniter to pair with the distributor? I have never worked on one and wasn't sure. I would just rebuild my motor but when I first got it pulled the head off and looked at the head .....the head and cylinders looked good. The head gasket was in terrible shape so I thoroughly cleaned the block deck and head surface replaced the head gasket, torqued to specs and fired it up. after checking oil it was starting to get milky which indicative of cracked block.(bad news) put some baars block sealer just to see if my suspicions were right and sure enough the water stopped coming into crank case. Motor has 175 k miles and with the overheating issue think it wouldn't be a candidate for rebuild. After changing oil oil is staying clean but cyl 1 and 4 has 160 psi and strong....cyl 2 and 4 have around 130 and aren't developing any power....Know there is a problem in those cylinders but would have to tear down.......and with problems it has engine replacement is the better option.....anyway thank you so much for your valued response....Larry
I don't know how you will gain by doing that. By the time you gather all the parts, fabricate what's needed to switch to a 1.3l, you might as well get hold of a rebuilt 1.6l like the one you have. The 1.6l could use more power as it is. It may also be better on gas. Trading up may be worth the extra power, but to me trading down would not make sense.
OK Guys thanks for your feed back....gonna let the 1.3 slide.....think i'm gonna tear down this 1.6 and see whats going on inside....get the thing magnafluxed and see if it's build able.....Thanks to all!