Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sources for Rebuilt Cylinder Heads G16B
I have a 1996 Tracker and am quite embarrassed by the the oil I burn on
cold start up. I figure some valve guides are worn. From your experience,
could you recommend some quality rebuilders for me?
Yes, I thought about doing that and I have been meaning to ask if I can use the same technique I used on my old small-block Chevy. I fed rope into the spark plug hole and then compressed the rope with the piston so the valves wouldn't drop down. I only notice the smoke on a cold start, especially if
the Tracker was not run for a few days.
OK, so I ordered a cylinder head, but I am not sure I was sent the right thing.
Does the distributor gear need a flat ground on the camshaft?
I did some searching and it looks like I have the same problem as was
described at: http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-side...-gear.html
The cam has no distributor drive gear, If it's the right thing it would be easy to press on my old one?
How can I tell before I strip down the top of the engine (1996 Tracker G16B SOHC) if back of head has a different
disty mount FIT?

I think that it may have been you playing God.
Here are some images, I'll add any more that may be needed:

Yes, I looked at chapter 6a, but I could not tell if the gear for the distributor drive was press on or not.
Yes, I saw your pictures of the head you got rebuilt. Actually, I sent those pictures to the builder in order
to avoid being sent the wrong thing. The question I have to answer is was I sent the correct thing.
I wish to be sure before I freak on anyone for screwing up.
Posts are in wrong order now. The car the head is going in is USA 1996 Geo Tracker 16v SOHC.
The head was sold as a new casting with new parts installed, including new camshaft. From what I
read on your pages I thought that It might be the wrong thing. So, I sent them your head pics
and they confirmed that it was going to be correct. Now after I read that there is no part number for
the distributor drive gear I am thinking that I was sent the wrong thing. Item was ordered from
Odessa Cylinder Head in Florida.
Since we were writing at the same time posts are in wrong order.
It looks like I was sent the wrong thing. Before I freak on them I wish
to establish all the flaws in the application of their head for use
in the 1996 16v cars. Looks like the cam needs the distributor gear
cut with the camshaft as a unit. I could not tell that from the 6a
manual. The question remains, will that casting accept the mount
for the distributor. The photos you refer to are either my photos
I took this morning (head on cardboard) or your photos
(head on pick-nick table)
Since the post order is wrong, you'll need to read again. Only way to make a pertinent reply.
Now you are getting on the right track. "good luck timing that cam so the distributor does not run out of range in the base clamp" is what first led me to believe that I was sent the wrong thing. If the gear needed to be pressed on, I would have designed it with a flat ground on the end of the camshaft or other form of indexing. The 6a manual did not cover any press on distributor gear. There are just pictures of the cam and gear together. Same in the Suzuki forum link I posted. That guy also got a head with no distributor gear on the camshaft.

I never sent anything out. This was to be a new unit with no core required. That was the main selling point for me. I think it has been established that I was sent the wrong assembly. Still left is to establish if the distributor mount would fit on the casting I was sent. I intend to send it back regardless, but I wish to get the right thing if possible, and also save anyone else from this problem in the future. Therefore, remaining intent is to educate the seller.
Upon examination of the pictures, it does in fact appear that the distributor drive gear is pressed on, and the
head casting should accept the distributor mount. Before blowing up on the seller, I need to establish how much
force I need to put on the gear in order to switch it, and how do I go about indexing it. If this turns out to be
impractical for me to achieve, I must attempt to send it back.