Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
97 Sidekick Sport 1.8L - CUTS OUT AT 1/4 THROTTLE
can I have the data? please
the Volts measured? where (make sure your meter is in DC volts mode, if manual meter 20vdc range, if auto ranger DMM , the ICON on the LCD tells you what range it used, (0.5v ok, 0.13mV bad. see that mv , The meter autoranged mili volt range. the icons matter, mv ,v,

what does your gray wire read in volts ,zero 0v? , 0.2v , 5v what? (0 to 5v is the range, but only the low range is valid at idle)
ok a real problem that.(or measurement errors) measure a 1.5v AAA or AA battery, to make sure the meter works, this is always done first, if meter acts odd.
if reads wrong,(but what was it)
so what is wrong, well its just a variable resistor, called a POT or Potentiometer, in electronics.
what i do is read all 3 pins on the TPS , one by one, black lead on battery NEG post under all tests.

the power pin must be +5vdc (4.75 to5.25vdc ) GRAY- red, aka, GRAY with red stripe ,KEY MUST BE ON.

if 0v the TPS will be dead. if voltage super low ,unplug the sensor on the TB called, MAF, ok now this power voltage , yes, bingo
I then measure, GRAY-yellow 0.0vdc, its ground , if at 5vdc, the ground is broken (easy , no?)

any time any TPS reads , wrong , measure all 3 pins next , on all cars.
on suz cars if the TP pin GRAY is broken, the gray wire drops to 0v... kind of a fail safe feature.

in all cases, the DMM meter (Volts) black lead is connected to battery NEG lug, to get readings that don't lie, and allows ground errors to be seen as the ARE.
I use needle probes, to back probe connector, (not unplugged, key on)
in a pinch one can buy and use leather sewing needles, connect to jumper (alligator to alligator clips)

back probing 101
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/244

tell me actual results ,please.

The TPS is a very important sensor. we can test it easy because its only "old TESLA" technology, a pure carbon POT
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 97 Sidekick Sport 1.8L - CUTS OUT AT 1/4 THROTTLE - by fixkick - 02-08-2017, 09:27 PM