Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
97 Sidekick Sport 1.8L - CUTS OUT AT 1/4 THROTTLE
Sorry it took me so long to get back here. I had a surgery and am recovered now.
So where I left off is:
1. I have checked the TPS voltage. It is just a little low, starting at closed throttle .45 V and ending WOT at 3.6 V
2. I removed and carefully cleaned the MAF.
3. Checked compression ...excellent
4. New Plugs on all 4
5. New coil on #1 cylinder (Front Cylinder is #1 ..... Right? )

So I really haven't done anything else since then, but I am determined to get this thing running. One thing that is different from before is I did drive it a couple of times where it cuts out at all throttle settings. most of the time it just seems too be cutting out at 1/4 throttle though.

I will pull the boots off the plugs today and ensure the springs are actually touching the plugs.
x10 not replacing all 4 boots as a set is most times a BIG FAIL.
http://www.fixkick.com
This is all I have for a scan tool. I used it on an iPhone 6+ I could not get this tool to work on anything except my Side kick. I tried it on 6 vehicles
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FU5...UTF8&psc=1

I did pull the plugs again this morning and looked at them. They appeared clean and no oil or soot.
They all looked evenly colored - Dark Grey. I will post a picture soon go the color on the plugs.
I am willing to purchase a decent scan tool if someone could suggest one.
The only codes I saw were #1 Mis-fire and TPS failure.
I erased the codes in hopes they would re-set, but they have not re-set yet

I guess at this point I need to purchase a good scan tool which I am willing to do. I'm not sure which one to buy. I do not to spend a fortune on one of course, but do want one that works, unlike the Chinese piece of junk I have.
(01-21-2017, 06:26 AM)fixkick Wrote: VACUUM LEAK TO INTAKE TUNNEL #1
In some rare cases, chain is loose to cam and for some reason, only #1 is effected.
defective caM shaft CMP sensor, it is very complex , and reports of seals inside leaking and causing crazy odd things with spark.

this list here is scary do not let that happen

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p03...ahl-walker
Where would you recommend me looking for this leak? Where is this hose?
EDITS, YOU LOST THE TPS DTC CODE, SO REALLY IVE NO IDEA AT ALL IF THAT DTC WAS ENGINE TPS OR THE TRANSMISSION TPS, ERRORS, BOTH HAVE MANY ERRORS. DO NOT BLAME THIS SENSORS. BUT IS OK AT .5V FOR SURE AND IS CALIBRATED THERE. IN FACT.

I adjusted the TPS and these are my readings now.
Closed Throttle .50V
WOT 3.85V
Drove it down the driveway and it was loping and cutting out ..... No change Angry

[Image: IMG_2550.jpg]image upload no resize

[Image: IMG_2557.jpg]screen shot
EDITS (kick) THIS LIST is only for fuel so is grossly in competed. a fact.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_01_20_at_8_34_11_PM.jpg]free upload
You may take a look at that vacuum routing map sticker under the hood.
Yes, change the fuel filter, in case of mine any filter even the Toyota one I can use by modifying the mounting point, and put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank periodically that are all I did to mine as well. But if you could find Chevron one, it would be the best!
I would try testing the fuel pressure. Many auto parts stores have a loan a tool program where you pay the full price for the tool and you get refunded when you return it. I would check if the kit has been damaged so you don't get blamed when you return it. The issues would be that it can be a bit messy, but residual pressure is a good sign. The repair pages show how to drop it before testing. Other issues could be frozen fittings on an old car and the lack of an appropriate plumbing adapter. I guess it would make things easier if you had someone help depress the gas pedal to recreate the symptom while the gauge is observed.
I could do that, but wouldn't it starve for fuel more at Wide Open Throttle if it were a lack of fuel problem? Most of the time it runs good except for 1/4 throttle. I'll find a gauge and check it.