Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
97 Sidekick Sport 1.8L - CUTS OUT AT 1/4 THROTTLE
The diagnostics set a code for #1 Mis-Fire.
The diagnostics also set a code for TPS.

I replaced the coil and plug, and that did not help.

I checked the voltage through the entire throttle swing.
It reads
CLOSED THROTTLE .61 Volts
WIDE OPEN THROTTLE 3.84 Volts
Smooth voltage transition all the way through.

Next Step:
Check Fuel Pressure?
Replace Fuel Injector?

I would appreciate some help on this if someone has had this problem. I was on the Suzuki forum, and I couldn't get it figured out there. This is a link to my post on SUZUKI - MY POST ON SUZUKI
Thanks
what driving performance, hot ,cold, flat ground, up hills hows it drive.
what were the DTCs , actual codes P0301, any others, the trans and engine can throw, TPS errors ,lost but you never told the code, so cant help, at all.
sure fuel pressure
and MAF test
cat tests (melted)
car was good daily driver how long ago,
miles on engine are?
http://www.fixkick.com
I can definitely feel it mis-fire, and it actually feels like all cylinders cut out, just like you had turned the key off. It doesn't really feel like only one cylinder. I'll do a compression test on all 4 cylinders and report back. I wonder if it misses on all 4 and only reports 1. Your thoughts.
run it longer, hot.
if it dont drive safe?
then idle it till hot then gun the engine, see what DTC's set (after the clearing of them (push reset)

* I did not record the number of the code and just erased it. (wow)
* I have not had a chance to drive the vehicle yet to see if codes re-set, but it cuts out every time I have driven it for months.
* You are right, it probably is one cylinder cutting out which lames this engine drastically.
* I have added fuel system cleaner and moisture eliminator.
My elevation is about 3000 Feet. I think I can find a gauge tomorrow and check for compression and see if it is close to 195 or 200.
I will also note the color on # 1 Cylinder - Front cylinder
ITS MISFIRING

SEEM THE ENGINES OK
BUT NOT SPARK
IF THE MISFIRE, IS VIOLENT ,MOST TIMES THAT IS BAD SPARK.
LEAN FIRE IS NOT VIOLENT. IT BOGS, Feels like dragging a dead weight,
RICH CAN cause misfire, BUT SEEMS THAT WOULD BE INJECTOR LEAKS and jet black spark plugs.... im typing in dark on the beach, hard to see.
http://www.fixkick.com
OK, I took it for a drive tonight. I drove a total of 12 miles on the freeway round trip.
It was cutting out right away, seemingly not temperature sensitive.
On the way home it really acted up. It was missing at all throttle settings when I tried to accelerate. To explain it, it was a LOPING type miss, rev a little, fall on it's ass, Rev a little, fall on it's ass, and it did this for a couple of miles until I turned into my drive where I was barely idling the rest of the way home.

If I drew a line it would look like a radio wave, peaking every 3 to 4 seconds, Up then down, never really coming out of it, and not able to really accelerate. This thing is really getting under my skin.
It did not set a check engine light, so probably no codes, but I'll look for codes tomorrow.
PS. I did do the MAF cleaning following your instructions.
I could not find a compression gauge, but I really don't think it's a compression issue.
I am not expert of the Sport. I would say you may remove all the 4 coil boots to inspect if they have a small crack somewhere and the springs inside might not connect with the plugs properly or the plugs themselves or the coil wire connections are not properly locked.
(12-20-2016, 08:14 PM)rasmeidirt Wrote: I am not expert of the Sport. I would say you may remove all the 4 coil boots to inspect if they have a small crack somewhere and the springs inside might not connect with the plugs properly or the plugs themselves or the coil wire connections are not properly locked.

OK, I will pull all 4 plugs today and install a complete new set of spark plugs, and inspect all 4 boots. #1 is new already. I changed it when I first started having this problem.
Thank you for replying.
You may pull the springs inside all the boots to extend them to make sure they connect with the plugs properly. Although the FSM recommends NGK, but I have used Bosch Super Plus with two JJ without regapped them with no problem for the last 4 years.
Any update so far?