Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
92 16v sidekick low power
my 92 sidekick blows white smoke on startup and smells of fuel. after about 20 sec smoke disappears and she runs decent.

compression at 175-180 cold on all cylinders, 195-200 hot no more then 5 psi difference between each cylinder.

At all temperatures it burns rich you can smell the fuel and plugs are black with soot. Fresh tuneup less then 1k on belt, pump, plugs, wires, cap, and 02 sensor.

You can hear a slight misfire at idle and seems to go away when idles up to anything over 1k rpm's. I was thinking it was a vacuum leak but can not hear one. Sprayed intake parts with either to check for leaks and none are found.

cel comes on with key and off at startup.

not sure were to go from here just trying to get it running right it feels low on power compared to my 89 8v even though its supposed to have more power.
any direction will help in finding out the issue.
(12-05-2016, 02:58 AM)billever6803 Wrote: 16v G16b
my 92 sidekick blows white smoke on startup and smells of fuel. after about 20 sec smoke disappears and she runs decent.
black or smelled fuel is unburned fuel. so.. easy
white smoke at tail, if smells like burned oil is, and if it lingers, is burning oil.
if white smoke smells sweet that is burning glycol, antifreeze, and bad, but all cars in cold weather make , steam (pure water) on a cold cold day, cold engine. this is the water in all fuel when burned, the process of combustion is water (h2o) (and 3 gases, CO, CO2, and others , minor)
for now I think burning fuel like mad is the burning (pun) questions....

compression at 175-180 cold on all cylinders, 195-200 hot no more then 5 psi difference between each cylinder.. excellent.

At all temperatures it burns rich you can smell the fuel and plugs are black with soot.

Fresh tuneup less then 1k on belt, pump, plugs, wires, cap, and 02 sensor.

You can hear a slight misfire at idle and seems to go away when idles up to anything over 1k rpm's.
that misfire is real, and is rich misfiring , spark gaps at .028"
I was thinking it was a vacuum leak but can not hear one. (will cause lean running engine, not rich)

16v goes lean. with all air leaks. so???

Sprayed intake parts with either to check for leaks and none are found.

vacuum leaks are leaks that bypass the MAF, this is called, UN-METERED air, and all un-metered air causes lean,, Unless the 02 correct its, of course.

a dirty MAF goes lean but it can also be bad, tap it lightly/gently at idle, no RPM changes...
dirty MAF cause, under reported air, and goes lean, but at idle the 02 sees that and correct it but at throttle tip in, it will go lean. (02 shuts off then)

cel comes on with key and off at startup.

not sure were to go from here just trying to get it running right it feels low on power compared to my 89 8v even though its supposed to have more power.
any direction will help in finding out the issue.

yes the 16v has 15hp more.. power, flywheel power.

the 16v has the 02 sensor that loves to fail. if its bad or the ,#4 exhaust tube at top of header shield off, cracks.
or the FPR is bad. fuel pressure way too high..
1: 02 bad or leaks make it lie.
2: FPR bad. easy tests. fuel pressure way out of spec. and high.
3: ECT reads wrong, on hot engine reads 300ohms unplugged.
4: thermostat bad, or missing..180F or more, holding,,, not surging, if it surges, see my FRIGID page. (in my search box, fixkick.com)
5: injectors leak. do the leak test? during the FPR tests? with fuel pressure gauge.

Im guessing bad 02?

cheers !
http://www.fixkick.com
this MPI system
works like this
the MAF measures air flow, (mass) into the engine at all times.
the EFI takes that flow and then adds fuel (injection pulse widths) .
The 02 corrects any errors, from above, during idle or light cruise, but not acceleration or wide open throttle.

so vacuum leaks, cause lean. (02 off line)
a bad 02 can be stuck at 0volts. this causes, rich.
an exhaust leak near the 02, cause 0v. same ends.
http://www.fixkick.com