Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4wd problems 1995 sidekick
Ok on to the next problem with my 95 sidekick. It had auto hubs on it which when i removed them the drivers side one had no guts in it which i figured was the problem. So i bought superwinch manual lockers and put on it. The 4wd will engage but it feels like it is working against itself. The rear tires seem to be moving faster than the front. Ive just drove it around the yard but i know something is not right. Could this be a gear ratio issue or something in the transfer case?
this is part time 4wd
no driving on dry pavement, it's not awd, no center differential,
just for offroad or ice,
one tire, must be on something slippery or it will wind up and is dangerous to drive like that. (not to mention damage to drive line and that chain in the box.

the first awd., in suzuki suv with a dial on the dash that shows, 4h lock, 4L lock and 4H <(this is awd) you dont have this.

is 2004
http://www.fixkick.com/part-time-test.html

2004 offered this.
[Image: suzuki-grand-vitara-4mode-4wd-selector-switch.jpg]
http://www.fixkick.com
So unless its icy or im mudding dont have it locked in is what this means. What if im on a trail and have good traction till i get on a hill then i start slipping?
(09-01-2016, 05:27 AM)kyle.mccarley Wrote: So unless its icy or im mudding dont have it locked in is what this means.
you do not have AWD, all wheel drive.
there is no center differential, nor any slip clutch as seen on real jeeps.
the 4wd on this car is not for dry pavement,concrete or asphalt roads, but is for ice or packed snow on pavement.
and is for offroad. 99% it is.
dirt,sand, grass, rocks,gravel, mud, clay,, all those satisfy the need for 1 tire slips, or more. but not on solid granite.

What if im on a trail and have good traction till i get on a hill then i start slipping?

try to understand the car can drive on anything, but not in 4wd, it limited, its part time 4wd,

try to understand what wind up means, this is what happens on dry pavement or water wet only pavement , it winds up and damage happens.
that means the front locks are locked,
if the front locks are not locked then its not in 4wd, so when not locked you can drive pavement even if the lever is in 4H or 4L, because the front axle is now dead.
The transfer case in this car is part time, its solid chain drive, no magic, no clutches no differential there. its direct drive.
this fact is why the car drive line can wind up.

in your first post , you never once said what the tires are touching, (infinite possibilities, there)
since it acted funny , then I think gee, you're on pavement, or like on the RUbicon, on solid granite, yes ive run it.
solid granite is same as concrete, no 4wd allowed.

when it winds up the steering goes bad, hard to turn it, and wants to jerk your hands, this is a cry for help, telling you, sir, please stop wrecking the chain.
it's also dangerous, after all if you cant steer you will crash.
http://www.fixkick.com