Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1995 sidekick fuel problems
Hello everyone I recently got a 1995 sidekick 4door for a new toy and I have been going through the motions getting it running right. It had been setting for several years and after a tune up and oil change it has been firing up and running. The issues i have came along now is that my number 2 cylinder fuel injector is blowing fuel like crazy. Plug will be soaked when i pull it out and I have determined that I have a wiring issue. I have tested all of my injectors and they are all working fine and I also have checked all of my compression on all cylinders. I am thinking that I have a problem in the wiring harness that controls the injectors. My question is do I need to change out the entire harness or can I look for a wire thats grounding out or something. Also If its the harness I need to change I havent been able to find anywhere that has that part so if anyone has the part number that would be a huge help. I have some other issues with the thing in the 4wd but im trying to get the motor running right before I start messing with all of that. Thanks for any help and I look forward to talking to you all. This seems like a great group. thanks again.
(08-28-2016, 06:52 AM)kyle.mccarley Wrote: Hello everyone I recently got a 1995 sidekick 4door for a new toy and I have been going through the motions getting it running right. It had been setting for several years and after a tune up and oil change it has been firing up and running. The issues i have came along now is that my number 2 cylinder fuel injector is blowing fuel like crazy. Plug will be soaked when i pull it out and I have determined that I have a wiring issue. I have tested all of my injectors and they are all working fine and I also have checked all of my compression on all cylinders. I am thinking that I have a problem in the wiring harness that controls the injectors. My question is do I need to change out the entire harness or can I look for a wire thats grounding out or something. Also If its the harness I need to change I havent been able to find anywhere that has that part so if anyone has the part number that would be a huge help. I have some other issues with the thing in the 4wd but im trying to get the motor running right before I start messing with all of that. Thanks for any help and I look forward to talking to you all. This seems like a great group. thanks again.

one pin on the injectors is 12vcd
the the other fires to ground, about 3/1000th of a second at idle.
did you use a noid lamp on the 2 pins of injector 2, to see, that its not glowing at keyon, then flashes, running, running it will seam to glow.
its just 2 wires, to the ecu, actually its one wire the other is 12vdc bus, power across all 4, there.
that one wire, must not gound out.
are you sure spark is ok to #2, if not it will flood. no stopping that if it dont spark right.
http://www.fixkick.com
I didnt use a noid lamp i just hooked each injector up to a set of jumpers and tapped the battery to make sure the selonids were working then soaked them all in seafoam overnight. thats why i figured i had a wiring problem. funny thing here though is i actually didnt check to see if that plug was even firing so imma do that in the morning and that should narrow it down. thanks for the reply
i never how wire (battery) injectors...sorry.
they are about 10ohms resistance so , about 1 amp flows at 12watts, this cant be good to the coil , overeating it like that...(in such a tiny place)
each injector has 10micron screens, if they get clogged, only back flushing them cleans them. seafoam is useless for that.
I'd work spark first. new mag mires, cap,rotor, and plugs. (a 60k tuneup)
distributor caps can carbon track inside and short (even hidden deep). killing a plug dead, or worse crossfiring them.
if spark is good then the noid test is next, if that passes. get the injector cleaned, professionally, using the right equipment, in an injector shop.
they use a pulse'r to fire them limiting duty cycle on them , so as not to damage them.

they use a cleaner (that is fire proof) and they ultra sonic-ally clean and back flush them ,first checking coil ohms , not damaged , do clean up great.
if all coils read same ohms then they may not be damaged, this is an easy test, too, using a $10 DMM ohm meter,,, this is called DC resistance checking the coils. all must be same, they have wire coils inside, same size, same turns count so read the same.
then they make sure the spray pattern is good, if not , they are junk.
any tiny 12v lamp works as NOID, it must be out keyon, or the wire is shorted or the ECU transistor seen on my ECU page is shorted.
if the car has 20 year old spark wires, like bingo? , they were cheap carbon string wire, that fail,.. some fail only shaking,,,, they are a Little horror,.
I put mag wires on all engines, they last way longer than carbon, and have hotter spark to the spark plugs.
Bosch makes a very nice mag wire, and is not over the top expensive like NGK mag wires.
good luck.
this ecu does not know if spark , makes it to the tip of the sparkplug, (plasma checks) so just keeps injecting, oblivious to that fact.
here is me , checking plasma. P, is plasma. you can see burn,,, there. using this Special probe, to measure it..
http://jeepdied.com/scope%20views/hv-good1w.JPG

(08-28-2016, 01:25 PM)kyle.mccarley Wrote: I didnt use a noid lamp i just hooked each injector up to a set of jumpers and tapped the battery to make sure the selonids were working then soaked them all in seafoam overnight. thats why i figured i had a wiring problem. funny thing here though is i actually didnt check to see if that plug was even firing so imma do that in the morning and that should narrow it down. thanks for the reply
my injector page
go to dollar store, buy cheap 9v, transistor (old name) smoke detector battery
then use that to hot wire injectors.
it's gutless and cant damage the injector.
i get the alk, type.
I have spark to all cylinders checked all injectors. Swapped all injectors to number two to see if it was isolated to that plug and all yielded the same result. Plug totally wet and flooding that cylinder. I can take plug wire off while its running and it doesnt change the idle. Is it safe to say at this point i have issues with the wiring harness or the ecu?
Ok so i have somehow fixed the problem. I took the harness off and removed all of the protective sleeve, electrical tape and junk. Cleaned all of my connections and retaped and coated it all. Plugged it all back up and now its purring like a kitten. Thanks for all of the info and advice. Its now on to the transmission and transfer case/4wd. Idk if you want to lock this thread but problem solved.
(08-29-2016, 05:05 AM)kyle.mccarley Wrote: Ok so i have somehow fixed the problem. I took the harness off and removed all of the protective sleeve, electrical tape and junk. Cleaned all of my connections and retaped and coated it all. Plugged it all back up and now its purring like a kitten. Thanks for all of the info and advice. Its now on to the transmission and transfer case/4wd. Idk if you want to lock this thread but problem solved.

great that means the NOID LAMP would have failed.
no flashing, or if the low side grounded (a shorted wire) (PNP wire) the lamp would glow key, fail.
if either wire opens, the spark plug is dry. (injector dead)
easy peasy japaneezy
also the MID connector for injectors , up front leading edge of intake man(bottom), likes to fail too, just wiggling the harness can cause it to work then later fail.
a very dirty place there. and connections there fail easy as do the top ones on the injector side.