Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suzuki Swift T3 conversion - engine no start
(07-03-2016, 01:25 PM)t3tom Wrote: Hi, I know this post is not about a Sidekick, but I found this site very helpful in explaining EFI and fuel systems.

first off Im not sure what converted means?, (total swaps, or , actually attempting to move only turbo parts 1 by 1?)
2nd located in what country?

I am helping a friend with his 1992 Suzuki Swift GA, which had been converted to use a 1991 Sprint Turbo engine. It has not been running for some time.
what was moved ? engine , all harnesses, and ECU, ?
does it run on test fuel? No, im sure its flooding.
The flash codes from ECU show code 12? key and after cranking for 5 full seconds?? (insert the diagnostic jumper now, and see WHAT's UP doc)

Actions to date:
(1) Fuel pump and fuel filter new/replaced. 35+ psi at fuel rail during ignition start on - 3 second test.
(2) Battery voltage good 12.8V no load, 11V during cranking.
(3) Fuel injectors tested for fuel delivery/spray off car test. (ah, its MPI engine most are not then)
(4) Car's ECU was tested on another running Sprint Turbo 3 car. Passed run test. (VERY GOOD)
(5) Spark test at plug. Initial test showed spark present at plugs. Recent retest shows no spark. (and timed correctly? using timing light)?

(6) Noid test: Noid light flashes only once during each cranking cycle test. What condition would cause this?
1 flash, for 300 turns a minute? thats 5 turns a second , cranking, and lots of flashing. 4x5 is 20 flashes in 1 second, 1 flash ever 180degr, of crank rotation, but on this engine its gang fired cranking, so flashes all 4 at once i think. for sure the distributor is timed wrong.
do the ecu Diag mode cranking, see if code 41 or 42?

wrong rotor in distrib. one of those POS china rotors that fit 3 ways?
wrong distrib, (there are 3 or 4 types, per G10,G13 and G16.) Standalone spark dizzy, ECU CMP fired and turbo knock versions.... yah can mix them.

(7) Ground connections checked
(8) Harness wiring has been checked.
In particular, FI signal wires and igniter wires to ECU appear correct. but are these parts, all from a turbo car, this harness?
(9) Would like to swap (external) firewall mounted igniter and ignition coil from a G16A 16V Swift sedan, in order to rule out these components contributing to the no start condition. Would these G16 parts be compatible with the igniter and coil used on the Sprint Turbo G10T?
The physical appearance of these parts are similar but they have different part numbers. (so does this mean car body has non TURBO coil and ignitor?)
I'm not sure, what country car and parts in car? USA? or?
Im not sure at all what was swapped.
pretend body of car is missing (all sheet metal gone), and only rolling chassis is there, and all electrics there, and then parts moved , which parts? moved.
what was changed. there.?

Could you offer suggestions/advice?.

did you check spark directly at the coil. not drib.
move a spark plug and wire HV to the coil, and crank with spark shell grounded, it must flash fast. and gaps are tighter on most turbos.
my be.... (due to huge combustion pressures in turbo)

my guess, is you dont know this.:
1; timing lights work , cranking as does setting timing.
2: ;and that the ECU diagnosis works cranking too,, 5 sec. rule... (FSM shows crank spin counts, impossible for humans to count it ) so 5sec. rule. works.
the ECU will tell you if the (for example) if the CMP misfires 1 in 10 times.

what engine is this? G what? G16? or G10 3cyl turbo?
so the car had a running engine before the "conversion"
and now the new ECU dont spark. (lots of reasons, does car have tachometer?, does it move 2 or 3 ticks up scale cranked? (says ignitor is firing)

this is all about spark,. Dead spark or timed grossly wrong, or distrib parts wrong.
CMP issues.

if car is USA version, be nice to know that ,as we have schematics, on our cars.
and can look at them and see how these parts vary..
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suzuki Swift T3 conversion - engine no start - by fixkick - 07-03-2016, 10:13 PM