Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A/C question
Happy to find this site and I have a long first question.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I have two questions related to possible poor a/c performance in my 94 Sidekick 8v with factory r134a. Recently I found a hard top in the junkyard and installed it, though I still think thier is room for more performance from my system.

1. Recently I installed a new compressor and accumulator due to a high pressure (55) on the low side and low pressure (135) on the high side at ambient temp of 90*F with vent temps of 65-70*F. Now I can't remember the pressures after the new compressor but they are more in line with the pressure/temp charts I found from the FSM pages on both fixkick and ack with 93*F yesterday at 55% humidity yesterday I had vent temps in the 50*F range while in motion. Am I in line with what others are seeing? I know a couple of guys local to me that I have tested to have vent temps in the low 40*F range but that seems like a lot to be asking from a 20 year old truck. I think their is room for improvement but would like an opinion please.

2. How hard is the blower motor supposed to move air out of the vents? Mine feels like a weak breeze if I have 2 vents on me and 2 on the passenger side and is only slightly more if i have all vents aimed at me. I have pulled the dash apart and checked for leaks with none found, all seals are good, blend doors working correctly, and I have all the speeds and can tell a difference. Also I cleaned the entire system from vent to intake with no change. Is it possible the motor is weak or is their somewhere else I need to look?

I really think if I could get more airflow out of the vents it would really make it more comfortable but I wouldn't complain either way as long as I can get some kind of improvements.

Thanks again for any help.
Hello, and welcome.
I'm not sure on the loop (pressures,), but the engine heat will not effect it , at all, 800rpm is 800. and the engine rad is behind the condenser.
but the clutch fan on the engine, works in conjuction with the front Elect fan.
but yes, a weak Electric front fan. (front of condenser but if you move car fast , this failure , is hidden)
or a weak HVAC box fan. (heater) 12amp IIRC?

these fan motors, can get 1 bad internal segment, (low speed symptoms)
using a current probe and scope you can see, partial dead segments. (huge noise spikes,, same with failing fuel pump) All DC motors (true)

is the bypass flapper valve stuck in fresh air. make sure is in Recirc for best cold air.
does cooling get better moving fast?

dirty rad core exterior , preventing , good flow through condenser? (back blast the rad, with a water jet) that is because on high, the fan receives full 12v, or 14.7 running.

sorry your roasting !
the inside fan weak, in recirc, can only be, weak fan, or clogs, in the 2 cores. (heater, or evap)
good night.