Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
90 Tracker died, burning smell in dash, won't run now...
Today started out great. I had just fixed a broken connector on the passenger wheelwell that feeds the lighting system from the fusible link box *(I learned all about Metri-Pack 800 series connectoors!). We went out for an adventure today, and an hour and a half from home, in the middle of nowhere, something bad happened.

The engine died and there was a burning smell. It was coming from behind the dash, I think on the driver's side. We had to have a friend come and tow us home - quite an ordeal.

When I try to start it, it starts quickly, runs rough for about 1 second, then dies. Crank again, and it won't fire. Wait a bit and try again, it runs for 1 second then dies.

All fuses in fuse box under dash and fusible links under hood check good. I visually looked around thru the left speaker hole and see nothing obvious amiss, but the burning smell still lingers.

My wife is ready to get rid of it, because this happened so soon after the lighing system failure that almost made her miss her marathon a few weeks ago.

Does this failure mode sound familiar, before I go probing around with the Electrical Diagnosis Manual?

Thanks very much!

Messages In This Thread
90 Tracker died, burning smell in dash, won't run now... - by GeoCacher90 - 05-23-2016, 02:13 PM