Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smog fail
(03-17-2016, 02:17 PM)Lon Wrote: OK Fix
took off the intake manifold today (WHAT A JOB THAT IS). It sure is.

Used a piece of the outer shielding from an old choke cable ( a real good way)
in a drill motor to clean out the EGR manifold. I felt no resistance.?
I poured in a mixture of alcohol , Murphy's oil soap and peroxide
(I use this to clean my black powder guns) , ran the choke cable in again , this time it came out a gooey mess.
used a garden hose to flood the manifold and all four EGR jets were spraying a stream of water about 4mm in diameter. (and were blocked before ,right?)
I don't think the EGR jets were plugged .
Almost forgot , what do you use to clean out the EGR tube? (which tube? is this)

NOW WHAT ???????????

with the manifold off. (i hope it still is , the process is serial, and based off what is found, inch by inch
the photo above shows 2 paths, Input side of main egr and output, the INPUT is a complex S bend, in the intake, this must be free flowing. the hole path is large. 8mm?

then the head is next make that head tunnel clear, using your black powder, gun cleaners etc, i think its 8mm bore.
the when it clean , blow in that whole it must blow easy or the exhaust manifold #4 S bend hole is blocked.

this is the INTAKE S bend.
http://www.fixkick.com/sensors/EGR/90-95...age_4.html
here is my exh #4 blockage.
http://www.fixkick.com/sensors/EGR/90-95...ge_10.html

here is my head tunnel blocked, (all mine were 90 to 100% blocked on 3 cars)

once clear , then the main EGR can flow max flow to you can pass the 25mph ROLLER test. i think this test is under load, and what puts big demand on EGR to pass.

tricks. one time i used a drill bit to drill out a very stuborn egr tunnel.
and same deal on 1996, mono port you dont have.
drills can work ok, in some cases, once size is found. carefully.

the trick is to get the ability to attain max egr flow.
keep in mind that if all paths are 50% clogged, then net max flow is not 50% it can be a very weak flow, and the source is very far away,,,, long and makes many turns.
not a very good design.. (me?, id have run external sst tubing pipe end to end, easy to fix/clean/replace)
dont feel bad, most toyota;'s and honda's had this and in a real Toy shop. they'd sell you a new intake at $500 to $1000 then tack on labor..... so your on the correct path..

the flow is here.
they try to get you up on this hump,

[Image: egr-gas-profile.JPG]

DIY testing
the moving, not moving rules, are very hard to know.
Questions that can help me , is: is it a 1993 16v , is car 4wd/2wd, 4doors, , a/T or m/t trans? (does hood sticker say Calif in the words anywhere?)

the 1993 ECU and 92 are same ecu. on a/t box.. 58B40 ecu, (p/n prefix) FED
you told me the EGR main valve opens, gunning the throttle , so if that is true, then we know its the early ECU.
you may not know this but ECUs get swapped. and makes diagnosis , crazy hard, if was swapped.
some 93 and all 94 and up ECU , you must be moving to get the EGR open. (or hand spin a rear tire, as shown in ECU (FSM trick they teach )
so yours opens, moving,,, this is a good deal for you , so you can test the EGR parked, in neutral, and just hand on throttle.
much more easy to diagnosis , this ECU is.

see this hood tag
see the CALIFornia words,
http://www.fixkick.com/specs/Body-TAGS/h...age_4.html

its always good to know what beast it is.... fully.

EGR H3LL , is no fun, but WILL be , cured soon.

as one ASE tech told , me,
your tests are not definitive!
but he is only 1/2 right. if my tests fail, they do point to causes of hard failure reasons.
but he is correct, when you look at total exh. flow.
sometimes, many times, the flow is low , due to cumulative, restrictions, and no full blockages. and net flow is too low to pass smog.
i like to do the tests and then fix what's wrong. (gee if vacuum is wrong, or vsv dead or electrics dead, that be like first and 10x more easy)
others clean it end to end. missing not an inch (me at 19yo, grin)
and then when it fails, do the other tests on vacuum and ecu commanded VSV tests.

one easy fix . i always clean is the RED marked, EGR modulator, vent path. (in my drawing)
http://www.fixkick.com/sensors/EGR/modul...tioned.JPG
if this is not clear, big hell to pay.
that is because it will prevent the load sensing to be accurate, and weak EGR flows.

there are 3 systems that must work here.
i always look for the simple easy fixes first... lazy bum i am.

good luck !!!
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
smog fail - by Lon - 03-10-2016, 05:29 AM
RE: smog fail - by fixkick - 03-10-2016, 06:01 AM
RE: smog fail - by Lon - 03-10-2016, 01:44 PM
RE: smog fail (in what state?) - by fixkick - 03-10-2016, 10:15 PM
RE: smog fail - by Lon - 03-12-2016, 05:11 AM
RE: smog fail - by fixkick - 03-14-2016, 09:34 AM
RE: smog fail - by Lon - 03-16-2016, 09:29 AM
RE: smog fail - by fixkick - 03-16-2016, 10:25 PM
RE: smog fail - by Lon - 03-17-2016, 02:17 PM