Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Tracker Soft Top Windows Refurb
(12-06-2015, 09:55 PM)fixkick Wrote: wow, what a great idea, I'm sure others will see your great hand crafted work.....
even a winter project...

thanks very much for your contributions !!!!!

happy Holidays, and cheers.!

Thanks for the kudos, very glad if it helps someone. Happy Holidays to you, and all the forum denizens here as well. Smile

I didn't take any pictures of the side window gluing, but with the top off, side turned inside out and flat on a table, you re-use the same border area where it attached when heat sealed (once you peel up an edge of the original windows, you can heat as you go, and peel them up like a sticker). When using the originals as the template, if doing again, I'd go 1/4" larger for more glue area.

Other caution is that you kind of have to work fast with the Loctite because the same fumes that make you think your brain will be eaten are the ones that melt the vinyl enough to adhere nicely, and don't want them evaporating by working too large an area at first. Use wax paper under all the areas that can get glue on them when applying, and replace that with new before sticking down the window, so there's less around to get on the new window. Some will squeeze out at the rim as you press it (I used 4 x 4's and books, etc), but you can either suffer it in pride, or remove it carefully once dried.

Thread used for seams and back window and zipper was UV resistant Coats and Clark S971…not too pricey. It's thin but strong as heck. I used it doubled. They have the S964 nylon for upholstery, but it is not as nice for top use per my reading. Thread link

Anyhow, hopefully it will get me through the summer, and I can get a new top by then.

Messages In This Thread
RE: DIY Tracker Soft Top Windows Refurb - by GeoHacker - 12-09-2015, 03:39 PM