Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Start Issues
Intro
I don't want to complicate things, but I will give the background then my symptoms, what I've tried and I'd really appreciate any direction you can send me on.

I had an 87 Samurai with a 1.6 8V swapped in. I bought another Samurai with a 1.6 16V from what I was told was a 97 Sidekick. I decided to entirely swap the motor, fuel tank, and all the wiring into my current rig back in 2012. It ran perfectly in the original rig.

All this to say I didn't create the harness, the motor is essentially run off the original sidekick computer only. I have an in tank fuel pump that was installed into a samurai tank that I swapped over. I never had any issues with the motor when it was in the first Samurai. Ever since I swapped the engine in to my current rig I've experienced varying degrees of hard starting.

Setup:
97(?) 1.6 16v, Calmini SS header, Custom intake tube that replaces the stock intake to a Cone filter that sits inside a custom box that uses the stock MAF and the air temp sensor is attached to the box right next to the intake. There is no charcoal canister or the EGR pipe that runs through the block(?) which I've seen on stock rigs.

Starting issue:
Cold weather has always accentuated the problem, if the rig sits overnight or for 4 or more hours it take 3 or 4 prolonged starting periods. (40F or lower)
In the summer it may only take 1 or 2 tries (70F or above)
Often in colder temps I've had an easier time pumping the gas a little (I know its FI, but I was just trying something, I know it should have a flood protection)
When it finally does start it jumps up to about 1500 rpm (in the winter) and runs perfect, but its is definitely quite rich when it finally fires off.
When its warm it skips the high idle and generally just goes to about a 900 rpm idle.

Performance wise it runs great. Warm restarts are generally no problem.

Here's been my trouble shooting:

1. Am I losing fuel pressure and it takes time to build the pressure back up?

-Replaced injectors (suspected leak down)
-Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator (suspected leak down)
-Added inline fuel filter with check valve near the tank early on suspecting the pump was leaking down
-Finally added an AutoMeter fuel pressure gauge inline on the intake side before the rail to keep an eye on things.
- After an hour it will have 26 psi
- 1 cycle of the key to run (pump on for 3 secs) goes to 40 PSI
- Running it sits at about 34 PSI at Idle

I feel I've ruled out fuel pressure. Noid lights appear to show the all injector harnesses are behaving correctly

2. IAC:
Pulled and cleaned orginal. It seemed to help, but problem hard starts persisted.
Swapped in another I had laying around from a used intake from another rig. No change. It was used, but not bad looking. Still not confident so..
Swapped in a clean one from my brothers 1996 Tracker that runs perfect.
No change.

3. Checked and proceed to replace:
Coolant temp sensor - has 4.7V with key on
Air Temp sensor- has 4.7-8V with key on
IAC has 4.8V with key on
Rotor and cap
Wires
Plugs
Checked timing (I can't remember its been a few months, but it was in spec, but I can check again)

What do you think? I'm usually the one helping other people on every other part of Samurais and kicks, but this motor is beating me.

Please ask me anything that might help you understand the situation better, I can post pics of the engine bay and the set up if that helps.

Thanks so much for taking a shot at it.

Malcolm

Messages In This Thread
Cold Start Issues - by Malcolm - 12-03-2015, 04:23 PM
RE: Cold Start Issues - by fixkick - 12-04-2015, 01:15 AM
RE: Cold Start Issues - by Malcolm - 12-04-2015, 03:34 AM
RE: Cold Start Issues - by Malcolm - 12-04-2015, 05:02 AM
RE: Cold Start Issues - by fixkick - 12-04-2015, 04:43 AM
RE: Cold Start Issues - by Malcolm - 12-04-2015, 01:20 PM
RE: Cold Start Issues - by fixkick - 12-05-2015, 12:33 AM
RE: Cold Start Issues - by Malcolm - 12-05-2015, 05:42 AM
RE: Cold Start Issues - by fixkick - 12-05-2015, 06:58 AM