Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
91 Tracker 1.6L starting problems
First off, thanks for all the info. I've been reading through it and have done several tests. But unfortunately, I'm in a very remote location and have limited tools at moment.
A little background. We recently purchased this 91 1.6L Tracker for the ranch. It has 97K miles and has been on ranches for the last 10 years. She's rough but has been running good until recently. Filled it with gas a couple of days ago and drove it maybe 4 to 6 miles over a couple of different runs and now she won't start. When it first started having this problem, we could get it to barely run/stumble if the gas pedal was pressed completely to the floor. But it won't even do that anymore. Just cranks and cranks.

Here's what I've done so far.
I can faintly hear the fuel pump when I first turn the key for 3 seconds and ends with a click.
I switched the connections on the relays with the same result.
Pulled a few spark plugs and they were wet with fuel.
I can also smell fuel when cranking.
Pulled the plugs and checked for spark and they all were all working. Not a huge spark, but it was there.
CEL lamp does glow when key is on as well as the brake and battery light. The oil lamp comes on after a few a seconds.
Checked all fuses in the box and the only one blown is the radio
Voltage at the fuse box is 12.2. At the battery is 12.6 volts.
Used a paper clip to pull the codes and got code 44.
So I pulled the negative batt cable and ran the TPS test at 20K ohms on my voltmeter.
A to D = 4.93
C to D = strange reading. Screen showed "1." on the far left side with no other numbers. Checked it multiple times with same result.
B to D = 1.14 to 3.78 (continuous reading without jumps)
A to B = 3.91 to 1.29 (continuous reading without jumps)

Between the code 44 and the strange TPS reading on C to D, I'm guessing that might be leading to my problem. Just not sure what to check next. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
91 Tracker 1.6L starting problems - by Drury - 11-27-2015, 10:51 AM
RE: 91 Tracker 1.6L starting problems - by Drury - 12-01-2015, 09:03 AM
RE: 91 Tracker 1.6L starting problems - by Drury - 12-02-2015, 02:22 AM
RE: 91 Tracker 1.6L starting problems - by Drury - 12-09-2015, 05:17 AM