Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
97 Tracker 5V Ref Current Capability
(11-04-2015, 03:21 AM)TrackerJacker Wrote: Thank you for the reply . . . Yes the gray-red wire, inside row near the middle of the connector on the middle ECM connector (my ECM has three).
I cut it (couldn't get the pin loose) so I could take the resistance readings and see the voltage out of the ECM at the same time.

The 100 mA to 1/4 Amp current capacity makes sense.
My manual (wire diagram) says the sender, but the tank pressure sensor makes sense as it would need a more accurate voltage to meet the emissions standards. it has noting to do with the dash gauge. and correct, it is part of EVAP system. and will not help running issues

I am not near the vehicle but I will check that tomorrow.
With the tank back in place I can't follow the wires, so I went by what the diagram said.
The explanation of the fuel gauge will also help as the new sender (old one was definitely an open circuit) didn't fix the dead fuel gauge either
(it never moves and always reads below empty).

It runs MUCH better with the reference restored to the map and egr. (what ever the short was, fixing that , will make the other key sensors work after all its their power supply)
I also replaced both O2 sensors which appeared original from 97 (the previous owner had rounded them both completely off trying to get them out.) they rust and can be hard to remove. use heat, with a torch, then off them.

Bad live data from both and one heater was open. (sure, and the dtc for dead heaters, never lie, if connected)
The combination of all the above made the engine surge at idle and stumble at numerous points of acceleration. (that was LIMPHOME mode and for sure runs bad in that mode, the fsm shows all DTC'S that set LIMP mode.)

will drop the tank down tomorrow and check the wires and the pressure sensor as I have to install a Draw Tite hitch and will be under there anyway.

seems lots of bad parts, there, but is typical of most 90s cars, failing 1 by 1, and owner ignoring them. very common.... that.

the tank sender is also monitor by EVAP, if fuel level is 100% the EVAP tests are suspended. (needs air on top of tank to do the tests)
fools folks, that dont throw DTCs full, that is because that is how it works.
the pressure gauge, (sensor) is not accurate with a full tank,
so in fact both sensors play out for the EVAP tests, pressure and level and the latter does not use 5v. (refr pin)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 97 Tracker 5V Ref Current Capability - by fixkick - 11-04-2015, 03:39 AM