Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sidekick 4speed Automatic 03-72LE // Venting ATF // Capacity Question
I just purchased a 1994 Suzuki Sidekick 4door with 4speed Automatic 03-72LE. The transition vented ATF on second Freeway run at 65MPH up good grade toward the end of 30 mile commute. It worked fine on the way to work down the hill. I was working it fairly hard testing things out but not to the extreme were something should break. To me this is telling me the transition is probably over serviced. The fluid expanded and vented.

I was already planning on doing a trany filter with drain and fill since I just purchased and it shifted hard from 1st to 2nd.

I drained approximately 4 1/2 quarts out doing the filter. some drained out of plug and another bit once I pulled the filter. Add that to what I lost on the freeway and I would guess that about 5 quarts.

All the specs say with filter and drain I should be looking at adding 2.5L (2.64qt)

I added 2.5qt started the engine and checked. It did not even register on the dip stick. I added another 1/2 for a total of 3qt. Still will not register on the dipstick. I heated the trany until the pan was at least 175`F. Checked the fluid. It registers but still about 1/4 inch under the cold full line.

I was thinking since the dip stick tube is 2 pieces maybe they were not seating together correctly holding the dip stick to high. I removed the tube. It looked like the part were the tube goes into the oil pan might have been bent down just a bit. I adjusted it up slightly and verified correct mating with the top half and reinstalled.

Checked the fluid cold not running and it shows the level at cold Full but once I start it it drops below the dipstick. It is my understanding it should be checked warm with running engine in Park.

My thought is that 4 1/2qt to 5qt was to much causing my venting and not sure the 3qts I installed is enough. I am confused since 2.5L is the recommendation.

I'm Looking for your opinions and suggestions.
Thanks

Messages In This Thread
Sidekick 4speed Automatic 03-72LE // Venting ATF // Capacity Question - by allan y - 05-01-2015, 12:33 PM