Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8L 16v coolant temperature unstable-SOLVED!
After reading many accounts of erratic coolant temperatures, questioning sensors, ECU, temp gauge,etc, I did this:
I removed the thermostat from the bottom of the engine where it lives. For some reason Suzuki decided to put it there instead of where everybody else puts it, (up top). So what. I removed it and buttoned it up. Then I took 2 thermostat housings from, I think, about a mid-'80s Chevy Cavalier or something like that, it does not matter what, just take 2 housings and bolt them together with a thermostat inside, cut the big upper hose in two, and insert this assembly. I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the thermostat disc before assembly, and made sure the pellet faces the motor. Absolutely the END of erratic coolant temps, and all the problem that go with it. 2 years in, 25,000 miles no more coolant problems. I have never seen this fix before, comments and questions welcome. Hole size in disc was critical. Mechanical fan was replaced by electric fan, triggered by Honda Accord thermo switch installed in lower hose.-Dan Strayer

Messages In This Thread
1.8L 16v coolant temperature unstable-SOLVED! - by dan strayer - 03-29-2015, 12:03 PM