Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn signals out after smoke in combo switch
buff it out
the new switch had dielectric grease inside,
and when overloaded they smoke, this does not mean it's wasted as you can see the contracts are not melted, or the plastic black or warped.
the fuse is 15amps.
and is heavy
the lamps are no more than 2 x 4 amps, or 8 amps total. about 1/2 the fuse rating.
if the RR lamp (farthest) shorts it many not blow the fuse. it my just smoke the blinker contracts.
if the connectors are old and rusty, this is common,

so get one lamp to work? pick a corner. and make one blinker work, all other corners removed. ( divide and conquer?)
at the most , only one side of car needs to be fixed. so is just 2 lamps.
pick lift side.
try one lamp only at left rear, (omg, the wires are hacked there. for trail lights?) so common this is crying towel time, i look there day 1)

my guess is the blinker module s bad. (or not really connected or backwards?)

the blinker can be tested in car .
remove all 4 corner blinker lights ( i do that because they short so easy, x10 more easy for china imported carp lamps too)
then using a test lamp
a 12v light on 2 wires.
i connect the lamp from ground, to the output (green) of the blinker module.
i key on and it must blink.
if not the power pin is dead to the blinker
or ground is cut.

if say the power pin is dead that means the combo switch failed to send power to the blinker module
so turn on hazards, this sends a new power source to the blinker module, does that fix it?
this is all first. not ripping parts apart, be shame to wreck a $150 combo for $5 blinker, sure would.

use a volt meter, its not hard at all.
its harmless to you and car when using volts mode..
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Turn signals out after smoke in combo switch - by fixkick - 10-29-2014, 02:51 AM