Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear hatch is jammed shut (pic)
Hi everyone,

1989 sidekick hardtop.

Went to the store. Loaded groceries in the rear.

I did not lock the hatch. I rarely ever lock it.

I got home to unload the groceries and the hatch won't open. The key turns and the handle is working properly.

It's like the latch is welded shut.

When locked the handle moves freely all the way (like normal) but when unlocked the handle will start to engage about half-way-through when pulled (like normal). It is doing that but it it won't go the rest of the way to open the hatch. Of course, if I pull it too hard something is going to break.

I climbed in the back, took the panel off, disengaged to rods and tried to move it with my fingers. Still won't open the hatch. By the way, my back has not stopped complaining for me climbing back there.

I've attached a pic of what it looks like.

The red line points to the part that will move slightly.

The blue line points the part (with the "S" stamped on it) that doesn't seem to want to move when the other part starts pushing up on it.

The yellow line points to an unidentified object. Could that be jamming the part with the "S" stamped on it?

Sorry for the bad pic. I shoved the camera up in there and just started snapping away until something what somewhat useful.

I have applied quite-a-bit of pressure from both sides of the door to perhaps relieve pressure while someone else operated the mechanism.

I've sprayed wd40 in there and let it soak overnight.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Rear hatch is jammed shut (pic) - by droflex - 07-06-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Rear hatch is jammed shut (pic) - by fixkick - 07-06-2014, 04:34 AM
RE: Rear hatch is jammed shut (pic) - by droflex - 07-06-2014, 05:01 AM
RE: Rear hatch is jammed shut (pic) - by droflex - 07-06-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Rear hatch is jammed shut (pic) - by fixkick - 07-06-2014, 11:37 AM