Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shifting grinds when cold
I was surprised to find that GM part as well. Thanks for the feedback Vitalie. If the rain stops tomorrow I will check everything from the pedal all the way to the transmission levers, clutch adjustment, etc. I replaced the cable less than 15000 miles ago, so I want to make sure nothing is breaking on anywhere. I sure hope is just a cable and nothing I have to re-weld. I've been reading about clutch change just to be prepared in case I have to do it, and I have to say that even if I have to spend $140 in HF for an engine pull hoist, it is worth it so I can do it with the engine out of the car. I just think a few bolts and a few hoses and electrical plugs to disconnect are a way easier option than trying to do all this under the car, especially since I don't have a garage to work in. The current cable does have the rubber end, I think I am missing a couple of fittings down by the transmission, maybe you guys can take a picture of your assembly towards the end and send it to me, I tried comparing it to the FSM drawings but some small parts are very blurry and I can't make sense out of them.

As of today I don't feel/hear any grinding (temperature is in the 50's F now), but when I depress the clutch pedal I hear a squeaking sound as if something is being forced passed the normal.

I think I'm also missing a bracket or something by the air filter box, I think from the factory these cars bring a piece of metal that keeps the clutch cable from touching the power steering pulley. Right now my cable has some rubber burned off right in the spot close to the p/s pulley. Maybe I make something out of a piece of scrap metal to hold the cable away from the pulley.
1996 Geo Tracker, CAMI, 16 valve, 5sp, 4x4, soft top, 2 door, no a/c

Messages In This Thread
Shifting grinds when cold - by gorkyb - 03-29-2014, 12:37 AM
RE: Shifting grinds when cold - by fixkick - 03-29-2014, 02:32 AM
RE: Shifting grinds when cold - by gorkyb - 03-29-2014, 03:12 AM
RE: Shifting grinds when cold - by fixkick - 03-29-2014, 04:15 AM
RE: Shifting grinds when cold - by Vitalie - 03-29-2014, 07:58 AM
RE: Shifting grinds when cold - by fixkick - 03-29-2014, 09:50 PM
RE: Shifting grinds when cold - by gorkyb - 03-30-2014, 03:58 AM
RE: Shifting grinds when cold - by fixkick - 04-01-2014, 02:16 AM