Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracker Complete J18 Swap with Caveats
Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

New here, but I suspect I'll be using this forum as a resource a lot over the next coming months. And I understand that this topic has probably already been covered, but I'm having a hard time finding specifics. I plan on doing a full restoration of my 1995 Geo Tracker.

Now, before you go bashing me and telling me it's not worth it, I already know. I know that it's easier to just find another one in better shape (though, mine's really not that bad, just some rust in typical areas, but structurally sound), lower miles, different car, etc. I'm not restoring it in hopes of selling it or making any profit. It's purely for sentimental reasons, and it'll probably become a daily driver. That and out of the many, many vehicles I've owned, that one is probably the one I miss the most.

That being said, I'll be doing a complete teardown and body-off-frame restoration of the Tracker. It currently has a 8V G16 with a 5 speed and it's 2WD (for now). Essentially, what I'm looking to do is swap in a complete 1.8L 5-Speed 4WD driveline, ECU, harness, etc. from a Sidekick JLX Sport during the restoration process, which I also own. Not doing a 2.0 swap because a.) I already have the 1.8 and b.) the 2.0 only has 10 more HP. Also, I'm under the impression that a vast majority of the 2.0 parts will fit the 1.8 (2.0 is a stroked 1.8..? Cranks are a little different, I think; different tone wheels for CKP).

My question is (questions are..?): What kind of roadblocks am I going to be facing? For example, are the engine and transmission mounting points the same (or can I at least use the mounts from the Sidekick to mount them to my Tracker)? Can I use the rear driveshaft from a regular 1.6L 4WD tracker, or am I going to have to modify one (I know that my 2WD one won't work, no Xfer case)? I plan on also swapping the axles/suspension components. Which brings me to another question, will they fit? Other than being longer and a having a different engine, the JLX essentially looks to be identical to my Tracker from a body/frame perspective.

Since I plan on using pretty much the ENTIRE harness and ECU from the JLX, I'm not concerned about adapting the Tracker's current harness to work with the new drivetrain. The body and frame is *COMPLETLY* boned on the JLX (floorpans? what floorpans?). Hence why I'm not just fixing the JLX. Driveline is in good shape. I want to use the JLX axles/front suspension to essentially keep the gearing correct, as well as add 4WD to my Tracker.

Any input is much appreciated.

Raj

Messages In This Thread
Tracker Complete J18 Swap with Caveats - by Rajire - 04-06-2019, 07:14 AM