Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermostat seal issue 1997 Sidekick 1.6
(03-27-2019, 05:59 AM)fixkick Wrote: not suzuki J18 engine right? not the DOHC engine right,

ok , the 96 for sure uses the deep well thermostat base housing, (in manifold) so buy that. it is a rubber ring and never ever a paper gasket used on the more early cars.
what is bigger I do not understand what you are saying, on any G16B engines.

i guess you are simply asking how to buy just the gasket rubber seal.
then buy 2 so when you mess up no down time, use silicone grease on the seal ,ok?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/suzu...+seal,2136

3 holes is wrong paper gasket
1 hole rubber is correct.

Thanks for your reply. Just as FYI, I am female and not a mechanic but was dad's grease monkey for many years. Learned enough to be dangerous. LOL Should be G16 Engine. Although my vin # starts 2S3TE02V0V....It is not the Sport model not 1.8...DOHC (not sure does not say anywhere nor does it SOHC. 2nd owner of car. Got it with 60K on clock. Now has 85 K. Hard time imagining an engine swap was done.

In doing routine maintenance (flush radiator, change hoses, etc.), I figured I would change the thermostat, too. Ordered parts, started work on car and opened the thermostat housing to see this monster gasket inside! Removed it from the intake and compared to what I had... What was in my hand was the 52mm. I put the old one back - no way the new would work. Obviously I rolled or pinched the rubber ring becaue it did not seep before.

I read, thoroughly the post Hard to Find parts, with regard to the stats, changes etc. I got the correct parts based on that info but that rubber ring around that thermostat is huge! It is not the Felpro 35432.

When you say the 96 for sure uses the deep well thermostat base housing (In manifold) what do you mean?

I understand no paper gasket. Was not one installed either. I think this is original STAT, too.

Not issue of how to buy, it's finding the right one. I even went to NAPA and looked at the one for 1.8.....rubber gasket still not large enough, thick enough, etc.

I tried to post a pick here but said file too large.

Messages In This Thread