Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idle Oil Pressure
Ok- I've been monitoring the (aftermarket) in-dash gauge over the weekend. Calling Autometer tomorrow to find out the variance of both the gauge and sender Monday, also have a bourdon gauge on the way. I was aware of the BSPT and have an adaptor so no stripping or leakage there, will report back with further info on those items.

My more attentive monitoring has left me only further confused;

PT1:
On cold startup I get extreme oil pressure. 65-70ish, as high as 80 if I tip in on the gas to raise the RPM.
Stays high (60ish+) until things start to warm up.
Once hot (180) it settles in as "expected" and doesn't move over 55/56/57ish, no matter how hard I get on the gas or under load.
@4000rpm settles in around 52ish
@Idle still around 13/14.

PT2- I'm making a hour long all highway drive to work currently, after 15-20ish minutes of highway time:
@4000rpm drops down to around 46
get off the highway
@Idle is 10-12. (has panic attack)

stopped for 5 minutes at a store:
startup-idle 13/14
non-highway @4000rpm, back up to 52ish.
stoplight idle 13/14.

This sequence of variation in results happened 4 times (the oddity of highway vs city after stopping the engine for a short time)

I'm aware that 60/70+ even cold startup is definitely incorrect, so I was leaning towards pressure relief valve issue, but the variation of excessively high and well under has got me completely baffled. Has anyone experienced a "sticky" (for lack of a better word) pressure relief valve, and this kind of vacillation of readings? Is it possible for the spring to weaken or the valve to wear, that might cause inconsistent opening or closing when cold, and hot? Oil pump condition I don't know, the original was put back on after block rebuild, so its possibly to blame, I'm not opposed to replacing it and hoping/praying its the culprit. Anything else that anyone can think of that could possibly be causing this? I'm confident in the build on both the block and head, but will check in with the tech who did the work again monday to reconfirm assembly specs. super stressful considering my intent is for this to be a daily driver.

Messages In This Thread
Idle Oil Pressure - by TomPrestin - 03-22-2019, 05:02 PM
RE: Idle Oil Pressure - by fixkick - 03-23-2019, 11:52 PM
RE: Idle Oil Pressure - by TomPrestin - 03-25-2019, 04:22 PM
RE: Idle Oil Pressure - by TomPrestin - 03-26-2019, 02:58 AM
RE: Idle Oil Pressure - by fixkick - 03-26-2019, 10:42 PM
RE: Idle Oil Pressure - by fixkick - 03-26-2019, 11:03 PM
RE: Idle Oil Pressure - by fixkick - 03-26-2019, 11:30 PM