Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘96 x90 Gauge cluster removal?
I’ve gotten myself 95% into a complete rebuilt on a 1996 x90, and this site has literally been a savior on SO many subjects. It was originally flood damaged so the interior is completely stripped, including the entire dash. The gauge cluster lays amongst the tubular structure remaining in the cab, with no active speedo, tach or temp readings. It functions only for the purpose of the “idiot” lights and fuel level. I’ve got a GPS vss/speedo system so that’s already bypassed. Contrary to the pages I’ve browsed here about certain lamps being a requirement for ECU systems to function correctly, I’ve disconnected all of the pinplugs from the cluster and started/run the vehicle for a short time without any codes showing on my OBD2 scanner or any obvious changes to running.

Mechanics I am confident in, Electronics of this nature I am willing to admit are not anywhere near my ‘pro’s’ column. So my question is simple- [on this year system] are those lamps and gauges actually sending information back to the ECU and their removal would cause an underlying disruption that may only show itself after an extended term, or can I finally throw this plastic piece of trash away and finish my custom dash with all new gauges/indicator lamps and be a happy fellow?

Messages In This Thread
‘96 x90 Gauge cluster removal? - by TomPrestin - 02-19-2019, 06:10 PM
RE: ‘96 x90 Gauge cluster removal? - by fixkick - 02-19-2019, 09:48 PM
RE: ‘96 x90 Gauge cluster removal? - by fixkick - 03-23-2019, 12:12 AM
RE: ‘96 x90 Gauge cluster removal? - by fixkick - 03-23-2019, 12:29 AM
RE: ‘96 x90 Gauge cluster removal? - by fixkick - 03-23-2019, 12:36 AM