Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 sidekick sport auto - no key start - push button start
it's been a while since I responded, too many things got in the way but I have been working on the 98 Sport since January

Replacing the neutral safety switch and ripping out the stupid push button switch solved the key on start issues no problem.

Onto the engine running. 

The Sport has 241,000 miles on the odometer.  A noisy timing chain, a compression check (110-140 PSI in various cyls) and oil leaks from the timing cover, valve cover and rear main seal told me it wasn't worth trying to get this motor running.  The radiator was also plugged and cracked.  When I did get it got it running by coaxing it there was coolant seepage around the bottom tank.

I dropped in a new motor, a J23 out of an Aerio with 73,000 miles (because I got a deal instead of a working J18) ,  I did a long block swap and swapped on J18 externals and oil pickup and pan.  I fixed an ISC leak around the gasket and cleaned everything up and she's running well. 

The engine is running a little hotter than I would like, even with a V6 Style Vitara radiator (thicker core)  I probably need to pull the carquest thermostat that I put in and just get a Stant and be done with it. I got impatient getting it running and just went up the street and should have waited to get a Stant.

There's still a few body patches (floor in one spot and a body mount) to fix but it's been a good project.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1998 sidekick sport j18 hacked - by fixkick - 12-15-2018, 12:59 AM
RE: 1998 sidekick sport auto - no key start - push button start - by thebanjoman - 05-12-2019, 11:38 PM