Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Tracker strange electrical issue
let me add...
the car has no voltmeter in the cluster, a serious lack, IMO.
if it had one we'd have gandered there first, omg zero volts now. or with headlights on , 0v or even worse heater blower on dead., it uses 15amps,
the blower and head lamps are the 2 easy things to diagnose(starter on A/t is a pain so we skip this if dead starter) and work above. easy things dead, Brake lamps I think are most easy.
Ive had many cars that were intermittent, way too many.
what i do if inspections fail.
is use the DMM to lay in traps,
we have long pair of jumper wires, Plus line has inline 15amp fuse for safety.
with clips.
we click the ground wire to battery neg post.
the other end of pair are inside car , on passenger set top(our test bed is there)
we then connect the meter up full, at seat top.
then the next wire (far end , hot red test lead extended we connect to something that likes to go dead.
first is battery,
ok say that is not dead when car is dead electrics. (say battery is good, and that ground just behind it good to body)
the 96 has many changes from 95, vast. and some make diagnosis super hard, DLR tops list if you have it, do you?
one more great function on car easy to fix is this. (if the resistor block blown high speed still works, cool no?)
the blower is simple still. blower dead, i bet yes when car is dead. car dies, key on, still blower on next on high, is blower dead?
page 2, simple. as simple can get. if dead. cab fuse 20 dead,? both sides dead, key on, if yes, fuse 3 in fender box is dead.
the blower uses body ground so that huge ground behind the battery to body, is prime inspection point !
http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/1996/Full96%2...-power.pdf
if say fuse 20 is dead both sides, 0v or way way below 12v.
that means the fuse box main on the the right finder will is dead.

I do like the fact that brake lamps are hot wired, they are working even with key out of ignition.
it's a 2 man test at car dead?, is the down side there.
brakes are 2 fuses, a switch, and 1 long wire. if fuses are good, the main box is dead. front fender box. dead . (not withstanding 1 ground stated above)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1996 Tracker strange electrical issue - by fixkick - 07-31-2018, 10:35 PM