Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Tracker strange electrical issue
Hello all, I'm new to this forum but have been searching it and getting great info since I recently acquired my little towed. 96 Tracker, manual.

It's worked great until recently it would not start. I got lots of relay clicks, and when I turned the key to crank, all dash lights would go out for 15 seconds. After 15 seconds, dash lights would come back on and then go out when I tried to crank engine (not a peep from engine.)

Strangely, radio was malfunctioning (after-market unit that looks properly installed). When I would turn the radio on, the little horn that says "you're not belted in and the door is open" would stop and then start again when I turned the radio back on.

It continued to get worse and then I got no dash lights in any key position and I'd get a really pitiful beeping from the "door open, no belt, headlight on" horn.

I chased voltages through all the large fuzes and checked all the small ones. Had my battery on constant charge to keep battery voltage up. No corrosion at fuze blocks and voltages good across all fuzes.

I thought that my main power relay may be the culprit. Oddly, after I found the relay and got it to where I could disconnect it, everything worked perfectly. I replaced it anyway and everything continued to work perfectly. I buttoned everything up and readied myself for a celebratory drive, and NOTHING. No dash lights, no radio, no headlights, no cranking. Just the pitiful sound of the door open alarm dying until it was silent too.

Started in on the wine after that. Any suggestions for when my head clears?

Messages In This Thread
1996 Tracker strange electrical issue - by samhoustonkurt - 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM