Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1991 geo tracker doesn't usually start in colder weather.
ok
sparks and fumes, are a bad mix.
but here is how to do it, safer....
make up jumper wires, (black and red are nice or black and some other color, run black to black and pink to color and color to battery PLUS LUG.
pump
black >>>>>jumper wire black to battery NEG lug.
pink >>>>>jumper wire to color wire, to battery PLUS lug. do this last this end. hear pump run, no smokers about (odd neighbors smoking too , snoopers)

the book on the car and (schools) tell you to put a 15amp fuse inline with above hot wire (color) so if the pump is shorted the wires do not burn up in your hands or worse , in or near fuel, boom.

3 to 6feet long, 6 is better jumpers.
connect it to the pump top wire pair , (unplugged)
then other end hot wire, across the battery.
get the polarity corrected, use gloves. so if the wires get hot, no burns.
it will spark at the battery end, that is where we allow the spark only there, the pump draws 4 amps when new. and the spark will be 4 amps, effects.

let it spark only at the battery.
but the pump if good ?, is going send fuel flying if any pump output hoses are open ! be ready to catch it in a bucket? or huge rag?

the pump will now run as long as the battery is connected, its just an electric motor in the pump DC brush motor. just like a wiper motor or cab blower.

run for 10seconds max or the pump if goes dry , will wreck the pump.

the 3second is in the ECU not the pump. the ECU brain counts to 3.
the pump is only motor.

OR?????
to test the pump on the floor but wired to car? only?> that It.?
then sure you can, just keep the pump wet.

So fixkick, Now that I have the fuel pump and assembly removed from the tank is it okay to check for the 3 second buzz *(not crank),
(still some gas at the bottom of tank) or should I put it back in the tank after cleaning it up, and test it there? In any event, if I should upgrade the pump, what brand might you recommend, and do you think it would it be worthwhile changing the whole pump sending assembly. I see some on eBay, but there might be better options. thankz
[/quote]

to
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread