Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J18 MPFI - TPS % value at warm idle
(08-27-2017, 09:11 AM)t3tom Wrote: Hello,

I have a question about my 2001 US/CDA spec Suzuki Esteem with the J18 MPFI engine.

The TPS has not been moved and is adjusted to the 0.5V factory value.

With an OBD2 scanner hooked up, the live data TPS % parameter shows 0.0% whenever the car is coasting in gear, or during warm idle.
first off OBD2 has parameters that show many forms of TPS , one is raw percent other is corrected, so at 0.5vdc is not raw ,but corrected is 0%
see>?
some cars use absolute TPS others corrected, if at hot idle it sees .5v =10% so then corrects all readings at absolute -10% equals adjusted, or 0% at idle.
see/?

Is this a normal condition? do not compare cars this way ever, each car uses its own rules.
and percent is ever even used, here what the TPS does.
at near .5v idle controls go active hot engine.
if you get above 4v or say 80% angle, that is wide open throttle rules , rich mode and EGR off
then when driving, idle controls are off but the ECU looks for fast moving TPS angles, (fast only, not %) this activates enrich mode.

the only bad % is if too high say over 1vdc (IDK exact) the ECU fail file to regulate idle.

On my other Suzuki product (G10 SOHC TBI) the OBD scanner reports around 10% TPS % at warm idle. ( forget this, unless idle hot fails)
Is this because the ISC motor actually moves the throttle plate, whereas the MPFI J18 engine uses the IAC to provide idle air while the throttle plate remains absolutely closed?

I guess,. the G10 is throttle by wire TBW, if yes, it must never be compared to any wire less (no TV electric motor )ever. sorry./
Dont worry TBW, it will tell you lf any of that goes wrong. for sure.

in any case the 2 cars are different, even designed by 2 different engineering teams,. The TBW is way more complex.

what matters is that he ECU knows its own inputs, and does.
the newer 99 cars, the TPS is autocalibrated each time you key on.
on my scan tool , i can see all pids, every one for TPS, volts, rad and compensated. this makes it more clear seeing that,
i can even setup my own scans to reach any PID address in the ECU, and present it any why I want, Palmer software is best. this way.
cheers
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
J18 MPFI - TPS % value at warm idle - by t3tom - 08-27-2017, 09:11 AM
RE: J18 MPFI - TPS % value at warm idle - by fixkick - 08-27-2017, 11:50 AM