Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve seat contact width
Compression Dry with wide open throttle, all plugs out. I did the compression testing in accordance with your instructions and recommendations on your fixkick site. Great guidance by the way. Thank you for providing it. #1-130, #2-110, #3-90, #4-135. The wet test showed no difference.

Lash was good and timing was good. I did do the solvent test to determine them leaking. The head is off and torn completely apart. I speced out all parts to the FSM and everything is good except the 1.75 contact width on the exhaust valves. It does look like the head was machined and new seats put in. The seats look really good just needing a good lapping. I just don't understand why the machine shop would have made the seat contact width that wide if FSM spec is 1.1-1.3. Of course I don't recall ever seeing a spec that narrow on a exhaust valve.

The seat is a 2 angle cut. 15 and 45 degrees. If the 1.75 was going to be a issue I was going to order a 15 degree cutter and narrow it up. But if you feel the 1.75 is ok I'll save my money on the cutter and just lap them then test.

Taking it to a machine shop is still a option on the table but my first thought was to have some fun and check it out.

Thank you for all the good advice and information on the website.

Messages In This Thread
Valve seat contact width - by Shadetree - 06-23-2017, 06:54 AM
RE: Valve seat contact width - by fixkick - 06-23-2017, 10:30 PM
RE: Valve seat contact width - by Shadetree - 06-24-2017, 07:13 AM
RE: Valve seat contact width - by fixkick - 06-24-2017, 07:45 AM