Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G13B - 16V SOHC - Engine Noise question
Hello,

My 91 Suzuki Swift with a G13B SOHC 16V 4 cylinder engine (JDM spec. with 35,000 original miles) ) has unusual noises ONLY after fully warming up. At warm idle, it makes a periodic wow-wow sound (approximately 5 cycles per second at 650rpm) followed by 2 seconds of silence, and then the noise repeats.

At first, I thought it sounded like a bad timing belt tensioner bearing.

I confirmed that the noise was still present after warm up, by removing all belts (A/C, PS, alternator and water pump) and then running the engine briefly.

After changing the belt and tensioner using the instructions on your website (and FSM) the engine runs smoothly, but still produces a cyclic noise, though at a higher pitch than before. (The crank gear bolt seemed tight, and there was no rubbing noted on the timing belt cover. I did not check the bolt torque of 94 Ft lbs however.)

As before, after extended idling, an intermittent high pitch squeal (that sounds like a teapot whistling) can be heard. This squeal will come and go (anything above 750 rpm will make it quiet again.)

I have attached 2 sound files, which are before and after the timing belt/tensioner change. Both recordings were with all accessory drive belts removed and with engine fully warmed up. The engine runs smoothly otherwise and no misfire or driveability issues are noted.

I would appreciate your thoughts on what might be the cause of this noise?

EDIT: I tried to attach some MP3 or WAV sound files, but the forum would not let me post it.

Messages In This Thread
G13B - 16V SOHC - Engine Noise question - by t3tom - 11-10-2016, 10:14 AM