Car Repair Forum
1.6 litre block questions - Printable Version

+- Car Repair Forum (https://fixkick.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Suzuki (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-suzuki)
+--- Forum: Sidekick/Tracker (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-sidekick-tracker)
+--- Thread: 1.6 litre block questions (/thread-1-6-litre-block-questions)

1.6 litre block questions - Soupir - 11-09-2017

Hi all new to the forum so apologize if this has been answered somewhere else. I got a 95 geo tracker 1.6l 16 valve with a cracked block. I have a spare 89 kick engine which is a 1.6l 8 valve in which the block is good. Question is will the 89 kick block work as long as I strip it down to the bear block and use all the 95 parts from there up with a total rebuild. Any tips or advice appreciated. Read fix kick swap page and still am a little confused. Thanks

RE: 1.6 litre block questions - fixkick - 11-09-2017

the 16v and 8v have same block.
but not pistons.
the pistons are fitted by size to the block, how can you do that? and ring top. 8v pistons are not like 16v at all.
even standard piston sizes are in 3 grades.
the suzuki factory gang bores them new. and crudely, then matches the 3 grades to the results of the crude but fast and cheap bore job.
best is have it bored and new pistons fitted.
same deal with crank mains and rod journals. matched bearings. they gang grand these too, and is crude as have color coded sup sizes for each SIZE .
the only precision in the engine, are the block main caps, internal sizes, and the rod end cap and little end.
all else is color coded and matched in the factory.
just to a normal rebuild. is the the cure. (new bearings, rings and pistons)
the top of the block as code stamped there, 3,2,1,1 ( this the bore errors) (a wild guess by me now) but 3 is the #1 piston and is over bored.
they put a #3 marked piston in that hole. of you put a #1 piston out of the 16v there you get pistion slap un ending, doing it wrong the other way the piston fit will be too tight and the piston expands hot and seizes.
that is my very short history on that. factory fit up, if you understand how they made it, then this helps greatly
when a real machine shop does this all the above IS ERASED (how do you not know this is already true on either engine NOw? )
TODAY the crank is ground to very very tight precision and same with bores.
and we use modern, (not suz) parts to fit it, in fact we buy the pistons first, (after board gauged) and then bore it to fit each piston exactly, if need.
Top brand pistons new are very very precision and some of this is moot point, but is always checked, or bad happens. Pistons are precision cam ground now.
This makes rebuild more easy. That. (both crank journals and bores)

http://www.fixkick.com/SWAPS.html#G16Bswaps

RE: 1.6 litre block questions - Soupir - 11-17-2017

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy reading all your posts. Question regarding oil pans from the 89 block and the 95 block. Being I am using the 89 block should I also use the oil pick up tube form the 89 and its oil pan as well or should I use the 95 oil tube and oil pan. The only difference I can notice are in the tray areas in the pan the 95 has a couple different dips to it and a different cutout. Thanks for all your help and replys

RE: 1.6 litre block questions - fixkick - 11-17-2017

(11-17-2017, 02:53 PM)Soupir Wrote: Thanks for the reply. I enjoy reading all your posts. Question regarding oil pans from the 89 block and the 95 block. Being I am using the 89 block should I also use the oil pick up tube form the 89 and its oil pan as well or should I use the 95 oil tube and oil pan. The only difference I can notice are in the tray areas in the pan the 95 has a couple different dips to it and a different cutout. Thanks for all your help and replys
u are welcom.
USA answer, outside USA different answer , as always.
1989, folk lore and such, wow.

the first 89s were not made at CAMI but in Awata Japan.
the first 89s, have this bum crank with truncated 2 end counter balance lobes(weights) on them (Bad really at high rpm, or in dynamic load situations.)
then this was corrected quickly, and then CAMI built it using a new crank at end is 89 build then newer AGAIN in 91 to 95
The most early crank is not in the book. (not revealed as such) That i think is they dont want you to use it. (savvy guess)
the pan p/n is the same.
the oil pick up tube, same 89 to 91, all the same. 8valve.
the oil pump changed too in 1991.
my guess is you have early pan. that is for the early real Japan cars crank ends diffr. or for clearances to the front axle pig or who knows.? or new tooling forced them to change, but only cosmetically.

but the p'/n in the CAMI books are all the same on pan. 8v.
the books try to show CAMI/Awata parts everwhere , but are not all accurate early 89s, , ive never seen the awata car,
CAMI came on line in spring 89 , july 88 to spring 89 sidekicks are awata made I think.
one clue of the AWATA, is no canada parts on the car, (like tires, belts,radiator from canada Harrison missing but now say denso, shocks, wipers, glass from usa , paint from USA (mine was Corvette red, paint from GM) shocks, ) if you see USA/Canada parts on car its not from AWATA but from CAMI.
not only that but the car is fitted with CAMI HVAC too, using a cami only P/N
the VIN on the body has prefix, CAMI, or Awata and the VIN as plant code. all this matters buying parts, and for sure mixing them.

RE: 1.6 litre block questions - fixkick - 11-17-2017

when a p/n changes, we never know why.
tooling change
defect found,recall, etc.
upgrade. (vast reasons here)
lowers costs of assembly.
lost the source ,say Denso refused too make them (any part like it) again.? or NGK or Mistubishi?
all we see is the part and the p/n and wonder, in all cases.
some times its obvious like the crank ends. wow new lobes.