Car Repair Forum
Muffler question - Printable Version

+- Car Repair Forum (https://fixkick.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Suzuki (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-suzuki)
+--- Forum: Sidekick/Tracker (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-sidekick-tracker)
+--- Thread: Muffler question (/thread-muffler-question)

Pages: 1 2 3

Muffler question - Zackman - 07-18-2016

Hello!
I have a question about muffler. The Canadian Tire list muffler for 4-dr Sidekick for $97, but the same thing is listed at $197 for the 2-dDr Sidekick. It does not make sense! Is there really that much difference between the two model to warrant the different muffler, or that is a mistake in their website.

Thank you!
The Zackman

RE: Muffler question - Zackman - 07-19-2016

Dear Fixkick:
I am afraid your explanation is incorrect this time! oth mufflers are made by Walker, who makes most mufflers sold in North America.

I bought one from the Part Source; however, after cutting the old muffler's pipes, and attempting to install, I realized that it was the wrong muffler! The new muffler pipe dia is 2", while the old muffler is 2.37" dia. Moreover, the new muffler is also 4" taller and narrower!

When the fellow (Part Source) was taking the order, asked me whether the car was 2-dr or 4-dr; then he said, it does not matter! It appears that it does matter,. I am am baffled what Suzuki would make two different mufflers.

Now the QUESTION: does it matter which way the muffler is installed? What I am saying is that is a muffler directional. I do not see any arrow or any hint on the muffler as to its irrationality.

Regards,
The Zackman

RE: Muffler question - Zackman - 07-21-2016

Dear Fixkick:
Thanks for the explanations.
I checked Walker e-catalog (where your picture is from). It appears that my car (which was originally from North Carolina) has a different muffler. The muffler is 14" long and 10" wide with 2.37" pipes. Walker's both mufflers are 17.5" long with 2" (it has been stated 1.75", but my new Walker pipes are 2" dia!). This is completely different from the two that are shown on your picture (and Walker's specs).

In any case. here are a couple of questions:
1. Would there be any problem if I use the Walker suggested muffler (longer and a bit narrower than the car's muffler)?
2. Is muffler directional?

Regards,
The Zackman

RE: Muffler question - Zackman - 07-21-2016

Hi Fixkick:
Thanks for the explanations, but you did not answer my questions

QUESTION: Is the muffler directional (I believe it is; I believe the end that has hanger should face toward the back end of the car.) In other words, I do not believe one can reverse the direction of the muffler - am I right?

FYI,The zuke has the catalytic converter. Moreover, my search on the net has led me to believe that the car has a Calmini exhaust system. The reason being that the muffler in that system (at least on the pictures posted on the internet) looks shorter and fatter than the Walker one.

Finally, I have already cut the pipes and taken the muffler off of the system (before checking what was in the new muffler box!) So, the alternative of taking it to a muffler shop is out!

Cheers!

RE: Muffler question - t3tom - 07-22-2016

Zackman, I think fixkick has answered your questions already.

fixkick said the mufflers you referred to, are [offset on the rear]. This means the inlet exhaust pipe is centered going into the muffler; the outlet is offset to one side, so this tells you the muffler is intended to be installed in one direction. (IE. directional=Yes; reversible = No)

The 2 mufflers you compared have very different prices because the more expensive Walker 47715 is made of stainless steel, and the cheaper optional Walker 18217 is made of aluminized steel.

The existing muffler on your car is probably not one of these 2 Walker products, so the existing pipes etc. are not going to work with the Walker mufflers without adapters.

Published pipe dimensions are sometimes misleading, since you need to consider inside and outside diameters of pipes, as these vary with pipe metal thickness. (I.D. and O.D.)

RE: Muffler question - Zackman - 07-22-2016

Thank you for the reply.
One (hopefully) last question!
Considering the fact that the present pipes are larger than the OEM pipes (what I believe to be Calmini pipes, are 2.37" dia., while Walker muffler admits 2" dia pipe), would there be any issues in the flow or performance of the car with the new set up?
Thanks!

RE: Muffler question - Zackman - 07-22-2016

Dear Fixkick:
I already stated that I have cat on the car; what do you mean by "put cat back"?
I asked a simple question. I repeat it again.
The current pipe in the car is 2.3" ID
The OEM muffler has 2" OD pipe.
All I wanted to know is that would there be any issues by slightly reducing the cross-section flow of the pipe by teh new muffler that has smaller pipe inlets; that is all!
Cheers!

RE: Muffler question - fixkick - 07-22-2016

NO
the cat sets the cross-sectional flow, (add up all this cells in the cat, what do you get , max cross-sectional flow) (not too good)
your pipes will not ever be less or reduce the above, remove yours and look, look at the cat brick inside, see those tiny holes.
A= Pi x Radius squared) it's even worse, those honey comb cells are long. and very restrictive.

CAT BACK is a whole new exhaust system, called catback. from the rear of the cat back to rear bumper.
that was a flow answer, i cant answer for anything else, i cant see car or touch it. and examine it closely.

RE: Muffler question - fixkick - 07-22-2016

not sure the extent of issues, (unlimited?)
Life
power (at any speed and load)
smog to mother earth.
rust (inside or outside)
vibration noise.
CO emissions to cab.
ground clearance off road
ease of later service.
exhaust note , sounds wrong, or neighbors complain.?
my changes from stock confuse my ECU. (oops, do try to avoid that)
issues, can run wild afield. no?

best is to ask a specific issues metric. like power.?

RE: Muffler question - Zackman - 07-23-2016

Thank you; it is clear now.
Cheers